Basic question: back up vs external drive use

I have purchased a Western Digital My Passport for Mac 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive

I am having trouble about this backup drive-or backups in general: i just want it to be a true external drive- NOT a backup constantly drive. I have carbonite, and this is truly just to give me more space.

Does anyone have experience with this- I want to go into this drive and be able to find my photos and movies easily- flipshare included- and when I picture using these drives, i picture it being just data, and difficult to find.

so basically my questions are:

1. can this be used as an external drive and NOT backup (and I delete the files off my computer)

2 when they are on this drive, can I see teh pictures/videos in the flipshare or ipphoto format?

1 Like
  1. Yes, you can use it as external drive and you be the driver.

You can manually copy and paste files to the drive as you wish.

FYI: Do not install any software came with it.

1. Yes, you should be able to see and share the drive or folder or just a file, it is up to you.
2 Likes

thank you- does anyone have experience in getting this to look like my computer? do I have to install iphoto or flip video?

thanks

This is the exact problem I’m having.  I just purchased the passport and I want to use it as an external harddrive.  I plugged it in, and I installed the software, not realizing it wouldn’t let you do anything manually. 

This may be a dummy question, but how can I reverse this?  Do I simply uninstall the Smartware software?  If I plug in the Passport, it pops up immediately as the Smartware CD right now, and not a flexible external harddrive.  Thank you!

1 Like