Bah humbug

For starters, there’s a lot about this device that appears to work well - just as it should, but…

1 - Big problems using a USB hub.  I connected 5 x 2tb HDDs last night (4 in a hub connected to the back and 1 in the front) and, whilst I could see them all in ‘Folders’ the media library just kept trying to build, so I couldn’t see them in ‘All’.  The light kept flashing for several hours, then I gave up.

2 - Trying again this morning.  Plugged one of the HDDs into the back directly and it loaded pretty quickly.  Looks great in ‘All’ gallery view.  But then I unplugged it and plugged it back into the hub, and the hub into the WDTV, but with just this one HDD attached.  No joy.  After 20 minutes under ‘Local Storage’ is shows as ‘No Content Source Available’.  In other words, the hub won’t work, even with only one HDD attached.  Unplu it alland re-attach the HDD directly and its fine.

3 - Wireless connected last night on the second attempt and looked great.  I was particularly impressed with the PQ.  However, after switching the unit off and back on again I can’t get it to connect to my BT Home Hub anymore.  Signal strength fluctuates between 2 and 3 bars out of 4 (usually 2).  In short this means I can’t media scrape.

Very frustrating indeed.

Steve W

I think you’re being very impatient.  ;)

When I tested with 4 500GB+ drives, it took about 2 hours to COMPILE, and about 1.5 DAYS to “Get Content Info.”

Compiling a single drive is much less complex process than building the COMBINED media library.

So, try plugging them in, then go to bed.

USB hubs are not officially supported, don’t get me wrong, I love this “undocumented feature”. I have notice that non-powered hubs might encounter issues with the WD TV; right now I’m using a USB hub that has his own power source.

The one that you are using is non-powered USB hub or it has his own power adapter?

It has its own power.

Steve W

I’ve seen quirks using the powered hubs.  I have to apply power to the hub with it disconnected from the WDTV, then plug the USB into the WDTV, then plug the drives into the hub.  Seems if the drives are connected to the hub and to the WDTV when you power up the WDTV, it doesn’t always catch all of the drives all of the time.

And if you have that many drives that large, it may take longer than you expect to compile everything.  It appears to only do one drive at a time.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I think you’re being very impatient.  ;)

When I tested with 4 500GB+ drives, it took about 2 hours to COMPILE, and about 1.5 DAYS to “Get Content Info.”

Compiling a single drive is much less complex process than building the COMBINED media library.

So, try plugging them in, then go to bed.

I think I’ll givde that a go.

It’s worth a try - I’ll be doing nowt else other than sleeping.

Steve W

BTW, where is the Media Library stored?

Is it in the wd folder which appearss up on my HDD?

If so, wouldn’t I be better connecting and disconnecting the HDDs one at once, as it appears to load them quite quickly this way, then plug them all into the hub once the information is on them?

Steve W

For information.

I plugged in just one HDD to the back of the unit (USB2).  This HDD was a 2tb model, with about 1.5tb used up by around 50 or 60 films, mainly Blu-ray rips.  It loaded pretty quickly.

I’ve then plugged in another USB HDD to the frront (USB 1).  Same make, size, and space used, only this time there are far more files as there are lots of TV programmes (shorter, so more needed to fill every 1gb), and they’re 90% SD DVD.

It’s taking forever, which suggests it’s the number of files rather than the space they use that’s important.

Steve W

Pecker wrote:

For information.

I plugged in just one HDD to the back of the unit (USB2).  This HDD was a 2tb model, with about 1.5tb used up by around 50 or 60 films, mainly Blu-ray rips.  It loaded pretty quickly.

I’ve then plugged in another USB HDD to the frront (USB 1).  Same make, size, and space used, only this time there are far more files as there are lots of TV programmes (shorter, so more needed to fill every 1gb), and they’re 90% SD DVD.

It’s taking forever, which suggests it’s the number of files rather than the space they use that’s important.

Steve W

Indeed, the number of files is certainly the biggest factor.   More data to sift through.

Yes, the Media Library is stored in the “.cas” files in the .wdtv  folder.

I cannot remember, though, if each drive has a DISCRETE database only of itself, or if the ENTIRE database is stored on ONE of the drives, or if the entire database is stored on ALL the drives.

I didn’t dig into it that far.

During my testing, I was satisfied enough once I saw it worked “as advertised.”   

Since I have 16TB of NAS space, I have no need for external USBs.  :)

It’s an up and down world.

I pretty much have everything sorted now.  The wireless I’ll sort.  I have a new hub on the way, and if that doesn’t sort it I’ll be siting it in the living room and hard wiring anyway.

With the old WDTV, just before this new model arrived I discovered the WD My Book 6tb drive.  Two of these, and the need for a hub is obsolete.

Finally, I’m getting to grips with editing XML files.

Bah humbug indeed.

Steve W