Backup won't start

My drive recognizes my Mac and has categorized the files. However, I have been sitting at my computer and the backup just won’t start - can anyone help? Thanks

Your WD external drive may not have the right formatted.

Please follow the link below it will show you how to format your WD external drive to work with Mac computer:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3323&p_created=1236623342&p_sid=jUrTc2Uj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=3865&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NzksNzkmcF9wcm9kcz0yMjgsMjYwLDIyNCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTMuMjI0JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9aG93IHRvIGZvcm1hdCBpbiBNYWM!&p_li=&p_topview=1 

Same problem.  MAC running OS X Tiger.  Both WD Smartwire and My Passport icons are on the desktop.

After double clicking on WD Smartware, on the Backup tab, both columns have the same information about file sizes etc.  I clicked on the Run Backup button in the lower right corner of the screen, and nothing happens.

I followed the link above, and did a disc partition, as instructed.  It was odd because there were (2) “My Passort” drives to select from, even though my computer only has one hooked up to it.

I have now restarted my computer according to the prompts 4 times, and each time it starts as if I had done nothing before, claiming there are new software versions available, even though I have just downloaded them, and gone through the entire installation process, which ends with, “you must restart your computer.”  I restart, and then the whole process begins again.

Very frustrating.

So far, nothing is proceding as instructed in the owner’s manual.

What have I done wrong?  I followed the directions precisely.  All I get is a message in the upper left corner of the screen with the (4) tabs, when I am on the BACKUP tab, that says, “Ready to perform Backup.”

If I click the “Pause Backup” button in the lower right, it acts like it has been doing a back up, but the files in the Passport show “0” even after 45 minutes.

I assumed that you have lots of data on the computer you are trying to back up.

Another reason that nothing is happening is the WD external drive you are using is not formatted for Mac.

Please follow this link on how to format the WD Passort for Mac:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=287&p_created=1023810756&p_sid=F_l4O7Uj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=3323&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NzksNzkmcF9wcm9kcz0yMjgsMjYwLDIyNCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTMuMjI0JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Zm9ybWF0IGZvciBNYWM!&p_li=&p_topview=1

After you have done formatting the WD Passort external drive to Mac format,  try back up again, it should work now.

1 Like