Backup will not stop running

My Passport 2TB drive will not stop running. The horizontal “barber pole” keeps spinning. I have it set to backup daily. Once the backup begins, it just keeps running until I manual stop it.

I also repeatedly have “file not backed up” message. It refers to my “windows mail MSmessage store”. (See attachments)

I have deleted the message in the file folder but it keeps showing up again.

As you can see, there is a yellow back up line showing between Other and Picture files. It never completes pass that point.

Has anyone experienced this problem and what is the solution?

Capture2.JPG

1 Like

Hello, Smartware won’t backup the files that are being used, be sure to close any program that might be using the files that you would like to backup. 

I have closed all other running programs. However the back up continues to run (spinning barber pole) and does not finish.

I have to manually disable the backup. After I do that I get the message “backup accomplished successfully”.

I don’t know what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same problem.

In my case (with Windows 7 x64) this issue begun when I updated from 2.2.0 to 2.3.0.

I could partially reduce the problem by downgrading to 2.2.0 since copying files process does not last more than 5 -10 minutes at the most when using this version.

I am fed up with this software and the time it has made me waste uninstalling and reinstalling again.

Due to the last WD issue (Pro- version activation issue), some days ago I was suggested to upgrade (to **bleep** 2.3.0. again) following WD advisor recommendation. As the result, the issue appeared again and I will have to downgrade for the umpteenth time.

I have never seen so bad software in my entire life. A very kind and responsive Technical Team but not very effective when trying to solve this kind of issue. It seems the solution is always “uninstall and re-install”

A nightmare!!

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I agree with you. I have never had so much trouble with a portable back up drive.

Some times mine will stop, but not after 4-5 hours of run time. Today the automatic back up began at 6:00am and just now finished at 10:54am. It took 4 hours and 54 minutes to back up only 19.62GB. That is ridiculous. At other times it will not stop at all.

I first installed the drive in January of 2014. At that time I believe it was running version 2.2.0. I am now running 2.3.0. Maybe that is the problem as you suggested. I might try changing it back to 2.2.0 and see what happens.

I’ve been running a different brand of a portable drive for close to 4 years and haven’t had a bit of trouble. I am very disappointed with my WD Passport.

This is very frustrating.

1 Like

Just an update. It is now a month since this post has been active

My automated backup began at 11:00am Monday May 5 2014. It is now Thursday 8:45am May 8 2014 (CDT). My Passport is still running. I only have 21.12GB to save and Smartware shows that 21.12GB has been backed up. However the “barber pole” is still spinning and my CPU meter is maxed out at times. In fact, I am having a difficult time posting this because of the Passport zapping all of my power.

I am not having the problem with another program running anymore, so I know that is not a factor.

Has anyone else experienced this? Sure wish there was a fix for this.

I get the same behaviour all the time, (the bar keeps running), and non of my new folders backup correctly. Sorry for the rage but this software is a piece of garbage. As soon as I find a better alternative I’ll switch.

pixelcowboy,

I have to agree with you. I’ve never experienced so much frustration with a piece of computer equipment. I don’t trust it at all.

Some times it will run a scheduled backup, the next time it will not. Some times it runs forever, sometimes not.

I purchased a WD because of all the rave reviews on Amazon and other sites, plus it was on sale at B & H Photo. I wish I had visited this forum before I made the purchase.

I have a small 400GB Clickfree that I purchased about 4 years ago. It still runs like a top with no problems what so ever. It is so easy operate (as in the name) and access your saved file.  I don’t have to dig deep into the menu file system as in the WD.

I’m kicking myself in the rear for not purchasing a Clickfree C6 which I was considering at the time of the WD Passport purchase.

I believe I’m going to go ahead and shell out the $149 for the C6 so I can be of peace of mind. I’'ll just use this piece of **bleep** as an expensive paper weight.

I don’t want the hassle of sending the WD back for “repair”. Evidently customer satisfaction is not a priority to Western Digital. I wish I could just send it back for a refund but of course WD does not allow that.

1 Like