Backup the data from the WD my cloud home to another device using the USB port

I tried to backup my My Cloud Home over the few months it had been in use. I didn’t succeed. All I managed to do was to manually double save relevant files into a pen drive.

My My Cloud Home device failed. I had my daily work files there. I had a really difficult time over the past weeks. Precisely what one would expect to avoid when purchasing what My Cloud Home advertises.

I had my device replaced. I am still expecting some sort of solution so this device is reliable for its purpose. I would appreciate any recent updates on this subject, since I really need to find a way to be safe, if I am to continue using it.

Anybody from WD Team could respond in this thread?

It’s up to community to point the problem but it’s useless to type if nobody responsible for development reads that. Mobile app for this device was a real disaster few months ago and this was upgraded… it seems then My cloud home is not an EOL product yet…??

Better functionality would bring new customers for sure… so simple…

1 Like

At 1.41 am My Cloud Team sent newsletter on planned changes to be implemented soon:

1. private sharing
  2. content export (to USB stick or external USB drive)
  3. content management

Still keep my fingers crossed as date for this upgrade hasn’t been fixed yet :slight_smile:

Anyway, thank you WD!

1 Like

Any update as to when the content export feature shall be implemented would be appreciated.

I received the newsletter. However, the possibility to become a beta tester was no longer possible.

This feature is vital in my case, and I would truly need to know when it shall become operative, and how.

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if someone related to WD is reading this, but I would appreciate it if I could get an update or indication on this matter.

I did receive the newsletter informing that the update including the USB backup feature was in progress, but I have not heard further. This is a relevant matter for me as a user, and it has already caused me quite a headache. Thanks in advance.

Hello!

I already have the update. Now the my cloud home is the product which it would have been when i bought it.

It al works good!

Greetings Vincent Borst

-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------

Hello Vincent, great to hear things are working well. Would you mind sharing how you got the update and the matter fixed? I do not seem to be capable of figuring this out. Thanks in advance. Best wishes.

First they updated the app in the Google play store.

After that, the look and feel was changed a lot.

The usb export was not available at that time. The mycloud home has to be upgraded by software/firmware.

That firmware came after a few days by a air. (Automatic).

Thank you, Vincet. Apparently, I am either not among the lucky ones, or I am unable to find the option.

I have restarted the Cloud home, checked on my mobile app, on my PC app, and accesing via Chrome, and the feature does not show up. Quite frustrating, I have to say.

If not too much to ask, would you let me know where the option is located in your case, and how (is it actually named “USB export”?).

Thanks for your help and patience.

Best regards,

No problem, my friend.
WD support is very bad!

After the upgrades (software and firmware) i connected an USB device (In my case i connected a hard drive “WD my book”

After that i could choose the option in the app “usb import”. See attachment.

Instead of importing there came an option in which i could chaise for importing or exporting to the WD my book.

The name “usb import” has to be renamed, because it now is import or export.

I choose exporting (all the files from my cloud home to WD my book).

Big, big, thanks, Vincent. I will try and see if it works. Thank you for your time and patience. Have a great week!

Let’s hope it Works for you too

It worked!!! Amazing! Thanks so much, Vincent!

Great to hear Julio!

WD has made a product for which they have to be shamed!

usb IMPORT button for the functionality of EXPORT !?$d?

Anyway…i am glad that i could help you.

Good luck Julio!

Greetings from the Netherlands

Hello everyone!

Great job for all of you.

I’m also using this device to storage my personal files and I was hopeless when I checked that is not possible do the backup to a separated device.

But, because of you, and your explanation, it seems possible. Thank you Vicent and Julio.
You are My WD Support.

I will try today the backup.

Best regards for all of you from Portugal.

1 Like

Just to be clear, I’m about to acquire a WD My Cloud Home and I currently have a WD My Cloud. If I plug a USB flash drive or an external drive to the rear USB port of the WD My Cloud Home, would I be able to make a backup of a folder or the drive?

Quick answer: Yes, now it’s possible to backup data to a USB device.

Nevertheless, take in consideration that My Cloud HOME is really different than the old version (as you can check in this forum).

Please make this a thing!

Thanks @v_borst for your help! I have set things up the same way that you have, have successfully copied all files from the my cloud home to the my book drive, and I have a couple of questions…

1. With the my book drive still plugged in to the my cloud home usb port, is there any way to view or access the files on the my book drive? Basically to just look and confirm that everything is there and working fine, and view the amount of storage still available?

2. Is there any way to set up automatic backups from the my cloud home drive to the my book drive?

3. If not, and I manually backup all files each time, will it overwrite or skip the previous files copied? Or will it duplicate everything copied over, causing multiple copies of everything?

Thanks again!

1 Like

I wonder the answer to the 2nd and 3rd questions?
Is there any way to set up automatic backups from the my cloud home drive to any drive ?