Backup Name Added During Renaming

I renamed my MyBookLive NAS drive to NASdriveMix this morning.  Everything went well, but it created another entry in my list of Shared devices named NASdriveMix-backup. I use a Mac, by the way.  It shows up in the list, but when I click on it, it just says Connection Failed.  Anybody know what this is, and how I can get rid of it? 

Hi GNMix,

This relates to the Apple Time Machine protocol in allowing different Macs to use your MyBook MyWorld as a NAS-backup device.

THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THE MY BOOK MY WORLD ‘WHITE LIGHTS’ EDITION. 

ANY DAMAGES ARE NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE POSTER.

THE END USER AGREES THAT THE POSTER OF THIS MESSAGE CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR DAMAGES (OR WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED).

To remove this share point, I believe that the following method will work. I have not tested this as of late.

1. Enable SSH
  2. Type the following commands and press enter after each one:
  • cd /etc/
  • nano mDNSResponder.conf
  1. On the last line, where you see ***-backup, add a # character at the start of the line so it appears like so:
  • #“MYSERVER-Backup” _adisk._tcp local. 9 "sys=waMA=[REDACTED] “dk0=adVF=0x83,adVN=WD_Backup” 

The redacted part you don’t add, as this contains personal information that is not meant for sharing.

4. Press CTRL+X and save changes

5. Run the following command:

• /etc/init.d/S91atalk restart

6. You should see some output along the lines of: Stopping afp…[OK] Starting afp… [OK]

7. Type exit and press enter

8. You should now have the ***-backup removed from the Finder. This will disable any other Macs that have selected your MBMW as their Time Machine backup device.

You may need optware to use the nano command. This can be found by Googling around for ‘optware mybookmyworld white lights’.

Otherwise, you will need to use SFTP and navigate to /etc/, download and open mDNSResponder.conf, add the # and re-upload it to the /etc/ directory of your MBMW.

Hope this helps,

-timeimp