Backup Failed - Internal Backups App

I am trying to use the Internal Backups app to sync data from one volume to another on my PR4100. There is ample disk space available but, the job keeps failing no matter how many times that I tried to use it. There is no log or any indication except for the job status “Backup Failed”. In job details the status is “Backup failed. Please check your system settings”.

OS5: version 5.09.115
Internal Backups App: version 1.14

At least the error message should be verbose to indicate the reason of failure clearly.

I got the same useless error message but with the USB backup app

files seemed to move over

I one by one deleted files and rested again same error

I was done to ONE zero size folder left over from a timemachine backup that would not delete and I still have the error of backup failed.

try a different share as the source

Similar problems, here. We are running version 5.09.115. My files aren’t getting created in the sycn-to location. How can we debug this? Is our best-bet to request help from support?

@Cordorb here are the steps to troubleshooting USB Backup failures.
Should work for Internal Backups are well.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5078

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Its really strange if rsync is failing due to timeout for internal backups. This would mean that the local disk on the system didnt respond to any I/O for 60 seconds. I dont think this is possible unless the disk has failed. The NAS in question is also not under any heavy load and its a PR series which has better CPU and memory.

Thank you for the link, @SBrown! I am still running the rsync, manually, so maybe that’s the fix. What really helped was the “Troubleshooting Steps”. Unfortunately, every time I used rsync with the -job-name & -log-File (not -logfile, as listed in that answer), I got an error. So, I removed them and appended:

> /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Public/logfile.txt

Then, I ended up with a number of these errors, all presumably because Macs are adding colons in the folder names:

rsync: recv_generator: mkdir “/mnt/USB/USB2_f1/Synch to Local/Public/Archives/10352 Selfhelp/Original/old/Selfhelp_9-3:4_catalog_envelope(8.75x11.25)” failed: Invalid argument (22)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***

More Details
Before this, for one of the 2 shares I was syncing, nothing was syncing.

To disable indexing, it points to another link, to disable cloud access:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5080#subject1

Unfortunately, that page doesn’t apply to 5.0. Nonetheless, when, I click “Cloud Access” along the top, then the administrator (and each) account, it is disabled. Similarly, the info about disabling Twonky & iTunes isn’t for 5.0, but both apps aren’t installed.

The initial article also indicates the cause might be “high CPU, memory condition or the hard drive has errors or is failing.” Not sure how to check that. I did change the write-to share to admin-only access. Hopefully

good link about timeout- does add some areas to test

The zero size folder was the result of deleting a MAC installer file with lots of sub folder

this folder was he ONLY item in the public share ( I deleted all other items ) and copy or sync did error out.

as you can NOT deleted the Public share – use the UI to re-format to get a new Public share.

this did clear backup error but still need to look at ( folder naming )

Note: there is no data listed if the backup fails : makes checking logs a bit harder.
_
I still only see 2 options on backup type – unless I select the top 2 (copy-sync) then modify the task:
after you wait for the task to complete then change it.