Backup encrypted files

Hi,

meetfplnr wrote:

I recently purchased a My Cloud 3tb. I have not opened the box yet. While doing some research on the WD website to better understand, and then emailing support I found I have questions to resolve first.

I have learned that My Cloud 3tb cannot be encrypted and I have a Win 7 computer with Bit Locker enabled for encryption for my hard drive.

Q1) Will my encrypted files backup to My Cloud 3tb? 

Q2) Will they remain encrypted or is it just the Win 7 hard drive that is encrypted and not the individual files? 

Q3) Is their 3rd party software that I can use on the My Cloud 3tb that will provide encryption security for the My Cloud 3tb so if it is lost or stolen that the My Cloud 3tb files cannot be accessed? 

NOTE: I have several computers taht will backup to the My Cloud 3tb and all will have access to a shared portion of the drive and will not necessarily need encryption. Those files can be but donot need to be encrypted.

If I am using the wrong system, can any one direct me to a hardware/software solution that keeps the cost of the drive arround $200.00 or some other work arround (even God Forbid a differant companies hardware)?

The reasons I chose the My Cloud 3tb is capacity and that I can plug it into my router for the computers I am networking.

I did not want a usb 3.0 NAS drive as the only computer that has a usb 3.0 port is my laptop (with Bit Locker) which is frequently with me and hence the other computers would not have access unless I plugged into a usb 2.0 port, which to me is not forward looking for my future technology needs.  

Thank you,

Q1) No. Currently, the WD Smartware does not perform backups to encrypted data.

Q3) You can create private shares on the unit and set a Password. 

Probably, you can find a third party application to set the password on the whole unit but nothing that WD recommends.