Backing up to remote NAS using FW 2.10.302

Hi,

The new firmware released very recently, 2.10.302 (can we have a CLEAR explanation of is this or is it not My Cloud OS 3.0?). Apart from a number of gripes of thew firmware:

• I hate the new colour scheme, much prefered the dark scheme.
  • Where has the fan status been moved (hidden?) to diagnostics?
  • When do we get proper control of the fan?
  • Stupid drive LED status in sleep mode - always ON, who thought of that?
  • The storage used breakdown by file “type” indicated on the home page (photos, music etc) is **bleep** as it doesn’t work. I’ve 30GB+ of photos plus the same of MP3 and both say 0.

there is one new feature that does look interesting. The Backup page now gives the option under Remote Bacup of doing a remote backup not just to another My Cloud but something intreguigingly called “NAS Server”.

Does this mean other brands of NAS Server? In which case how do I get it to work. There is a field for the NAS server password but no username. There is a field for SSH username  but that is fixed at “sshd”. So can someone from WD please give a CLEAR indication of how this is meant to work?

The NAS I want to try and backup to is a Seagate Central - yes I know, it is a pile of doodoo but I aleady have one. It does not allow a username of “sshd” (complains it is a reserverd word).

A bit of playing about to get my EX2 to work a bit quicker for initial folder browsing has turned up an interesting discovery about one of my previous comments:

“The storage used breakdown by file “type” indicated on the home page (photos, music etc) is **bleep** as it doesn’t work. I’ve 30GB+ of photos plus the same of MP3 and both say 0.”

It does work, but what is not clear is that it is intrinsincally linked to the “Cloud Access” service and the ability of the EX2 to re-configure my router via UPnP. Turn “Cloud Access” off in the General section of Settings, then back on again and it rebuilds it’s database and fills in the breakdown of files types.

At least it does this for as long as it takes for it to discover that it can’t configure my router (it’s not your standard home router but a Watchguard Firebox X Edge). At that point it decides it can’t talk to the internet and all the file type figures return to zero.

WD - when is the manual to go with FW 2.10.302 going to be released? A bit poor planning to release the firmware and not have a proper manual to go with it? The original manual is, in many places, totally different to how the new firmware behaves.

Still no joy on getting a backup to a remote NAS (not a My Cloud) to work… Can WD publish some details on how this is meant to work please?