Backing up the WD MyCloud

I am concerned that if my 4 TB My Cloud failed I would lose all my Time Machine Data, Pictures, Documents both in Public and Private folders.

Is there a good solution to backing up the My Cloud NAS. Experts say you always should have two copies of backups in the event of a Back Up Drive Failure. What would happen to the Time Machine Files? That feature has been so important. I have used it several times to restore Mail, and to rebuild Mac’s.

I don’t think buying another My Cloud drive is the best solution.

I am not sure what will work best, and be more automatic.

Comments?

If you haven’t done so already, read the My Cloud User Manual (https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904). It explains, in Chapter 10 Backups, how to setup and configure Safepoint (first gen v4.x firmware) or Backup (second gen v2.x firmware) to backup the contents of a single bay My Cloud device. One uses the USB port on the back of the My Cloud to attach an external USB hard drive that can store the Safepoint/Backup.

So does this mean I have to buy another external drive, or a USB drive. Does external drive need to be as large as the MY Cloud drive.

Yes, the backup location will typically have to large enough to be able to store the entire contents of the My Cloud drive. If you have 1TB stored on the My Cloud you will need at lest a 1TB drive or backup location. Generally one would get a USB drive the same size or larger than the size of the My Cloud drive.

One could use SSH and CRON to create a more selective backup of files and folders than what the Backup/Safepont feature offers. There is some discussion on this unofficial option in the following tread:

See the My Cloud User Manual for more information on attaching a USB drive to the USB port on the back of the My Cloud.