Backing up one folder to USB HDD

I know My Cloud has backup capabilities, but I am using it mainly as a media server for my home network and have backups elsewhere. I intend to put all of my pictures in the shared folder and make that the master copy anyone can add to, but I need to back up this folder to a USB HDD attached to My Cloud. How do I set it up to backup just that one folder (or selected folders maybe) to the HDD on a schedule please?

Are you using a Windows or Apple PC? What program will you use to back it up with, Smartware, Windows, etc?

If you are using Smartware then open it up and click on the Help tab for more information on a file backup. See the bottom of the Help page for a link to the Online User Manuals.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

1 Like

Well, having had a play I’ve gone for HandyBackup - a program I use on my PC. The WD onboard software doesn’t seem able to create anything other than a restore point for the whole drive, in a compressed format. I want the ability to be able to upnlug the USB drive and plug it in elsewhere if I need to and it seems to work OK.

Many thanks

The WD Smartware has both the file and category backup choice. See image below for a category backup, documents only for my Horace share.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)