Backing up and Erasing the Drive(WD MY Passport)

Hi anyone,

I am writing my very first post now to inquire about this something I have noticed a little bit strange.

First:

(A)If I didn’t  Skip Backup which I will be asked to do in the  initial Backup screen for performing your first backup and also I didn’t return to do the initial Backup by clicking the button ‘Return to Backup’, which I will be finding it in  the WD SmartWare initial Drive Settings screen, Can I be able to do a backup when I reach to  the WD SmartWare Home
Screen?

(B) I have read in the user manual that WD SmartWare lets:

Automatic backup protection is continuous for as long as your My Passport drive is connected to your computer. Then, whenever you disconnect and reconnect the drive to your computer, the WD SmartWare software rescans your computer for new or changed files and resumes automatic, continuous backup as before.

My question is My Passport will be full as soon as possible if WD SmartWare will automatically back up any new created files even if they are not necessary. Because sometime a user creates some draft files in his computer. Can I adjust this automatic backup for a little period and then resume it?

Second: I have read in a usr manual  ‘After the drive erase operation completes, go to support.wdc.com and see Knowledge Base Answer ID #5419 for information about downloading and restoring the WD SmartWare software and disk image on your My Passport drive.’

(A) If I  copy a copy of what is available in My Passport before I will be erasing it, I won’t be able to restore My Passport after erasing with this copy.

(B) I didn’t know why is being said  " disk image" in the user manual. What I have read in Knowledge Base Answer ID #5419 is that download  WD SmartWare software and extract it. Then, copy all these files and paste them in my My Passport. I don’t think this would be  “disk image”, as far as I know that disk image is not a normal copy; however it is  usually created by creating a complete sector by-sector copy of the source medium and thereby perfectly replicating the structure and contents of a storage device. 

I look forward to receiving your response at your earliest convenience.

A) Yes

B) If you don’t want smartware to backup files that you don’t need, you can also do a file backup and select the folders manually. To reinstall smartware, just download the installation file and double click on it. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7069/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0MTY5MjY2NC9zaWQvQWI3X3J6Kms%3D

Thank you so much indeed

(A)If I Skiped Backup which I will be asked to do in the  initial Backup screen for performing your first backup and also I didn’t return to do the initial Backup by clicking the button ‘Return to Backup’, which I will be finding it in  the WD SmartWare initial Drive Settings screen, Can I be able to do a backup when I reach to  the WD SmartWare Home
Screen?

Finally: I wouldn’t like smartware to backup files that  they are still draft.

Assume that I have created a Microsoft file today. Then  the smartware will automatically backup it as long as the category domcoumen is selected. If I reopened again and added some information into it. Then smartware will automatically backup it again so there will be two files with the same name.

Smartware is a continuous backup program, so once you have it installed it will backup the files automatically. To save several versions of the same file just go to from the Smartware UI go to settings/set up software and from file history you can select the number of versions per file.

Thank you so much,

But :

First: How will WD Smart software be able to determine the file  I only would  like to be backed it five or more?

If you said to me that the WD Smart software  will apply the number of backup version for each file in  the backed data.

I would be asking that if I have f(23386) files  whose size is (560GB), and I have specified the number  of backup versions for each file as: five. So,  560GB*5 = 2800GB = 2.734375 … terabytes:dizzy_face:

Finally: I mean if I have WD Smart software installed on my computer. And then I have let it back up my data. After that, I have opened a file which have automatically  backed up by WD Smart software. Next, I have opened the same file on my comuter and made some adjustments. Will WD Smart software only back up the adjustments into the same file or back up another copy from this adjusted file.