Back Up to a Different Physical Location

Is it possible to back up the MyCloud to a different physical location instead of a home network? 

You can also backup to an USB drive attached to the My Cloud directly.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10428/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5NzMyNjYyMC9zaWQvTjk4ODREUmw%3D

If you are familiar with Linux and SSH, you could try to use rsync between your NAS and a remote external computer to backup. If you try to backup remotely to your NAS, you could use backup software that knows how to access an FTP location as a destination. Setting up SSH, rsync and FTP for remote access will require port forwarding, etc. If you google around you will find plenty of guides.

That link almost answered my question with regards backing up to another WD device.

Is it possible to back up a WD MyCloud from my home to another location, i.e. another house on another network or even another country?

Any info welcomed

Ginger_James wrote:

That link almost answered my question with regards backing up to another WD device.

Is it possible to back up a WD MyCloud from my home to another location, i.e. another house on another network or even another country?

Any info welcomed

Yes. One way at least is to use CrashPlan, which will back up to just about anywhere, including off-site personal computers. Both computers need to be running the CrashPlan app, however there would be no cost for that configuration. The app is free (it’s a Java app, so it make feel a bit clunky, but it works), and you only need to buy a CrashPlan subscription if you want to use their secure off-site servers instead of/in addition to your own backup drives and friends’ comuters. It’s worked very well for me, and if like me you’re not really down with the whole Linux command-line jujitsu thing, you might find it easier to set up and use. Computers in foreign countries I think would work the same way, provided they’re connected somehow to the Intertubes. Oh, and you can speed up the initial backup by making it first to any external drive, then sending that drive to wherever the destination computer is to “seed” the first backup. Unless you have very high upstream bandwidth, that would be much faster.

Thank you