Back-up system

How do you back up your hub?  Right now I am doing this manually with my buffalo NAS.  I am considering a USB drive to copy files off the HUB.  Or just adding another drive to my desktop for this.  A casper type system that creates a drive duplicate would be the best.  If the Hub drive fails you could swap it out for the back-up.

You’re doing it right so far, but I don’t think the Hub’s drive is swappable.

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

You’re doing it right so far, but I don’t think the Hub’s drive is swappable.

Well, in theory, you can replace the drive in the Hub, if it fail. The drive needs to be Scopio drive, no other brand will work.

Thanks for the replies, but my question  is how do you back up your drive.  If the hub drive does fail you can swap out the drive, however, you want to make sure you have your movies backed up.  I have been using the NAS, but I will probably add another TB do my desktop and put all of my rips onto it.   Anything that is not transferred to the hub (Video_TS files,etc) can be copied to my C drive.

I have a 3tb drive on my network that I back up the internal and 2tb usb drive connected to the hub. I have a Mac and use a program, Chron? something or other, I forget. I guess it can be set to run automatically everytime the 2 drives change, but I run it manually. It adds new files or updates existing if they change. I also have a 1 tb WDMy Book connected, but it is RAID and has it’s own backup.

If you are asking what process other people are using to backup, here’s my system.  I have my files stored on a Windows PC. I also have a WD Sharespace 4 Tb NAS and another two drive NAS. I use the Memeo software that came with the Sharespace to backup from the PC to the Sharespace. Memeo automatically copies any files that have changed to the Sharespace and keeps the old versions. I also have SyncBack software that will synchronise files between different locations. I use SyncBack to copy the really important stuff from the PC to the two drive NAS. This way I have multiple copies of my files, in different locations. It takes a bit of setting up at the beginning, but once you have it running everything should be automatic. Did your Buffalo NAS come with any backup software.

I don’t keep much stuff on the HUB internal disk, I play all of my media from the Sharespace. Transfer to the HUB internal drive is slow and if the HUB dies you have to open it and remove the disk to recover your files. I trust the two NAS drives more than the single drive in the HUB. I don’t think you need a disk image backup for the HUB drive, you only need to backup your files. I’m not sure if you could clone the HUB disk anyway. If the HUB disk fails, when you install a new drive, the HUB DIsk Management creates the system files automatically.

If the new Streaming Live without the internal disk was available where I live, I would probably buy that rather than another HUB.

Hope this was useful

I’m going to show my ignorance here and probably state the obvious. If you have your files on an NAS or other drive location, you don’t need the Hub and can use the Live streaming player?

Correct.

Cosber wrote:

I’m going to show my ignorance here and probably state the obvious. If you have your files on an NAS or other drive location, you don’t need the Hub and can use the Live streaming player?

As I said, the Live streaming is not available where I live, but from what I’ve read it has most of the features of the Hub, but minus the internal hard disk. Instead it has built in wireless networking. So it really is designed for playing stuff from the network, which is the way I play my media. When I was looking to upgrade from my WD TV Live the Hub was the best option. The Live Streaming has only been released a few months ago. I think the Live Streaming is cheaper than the Hub as well. I guess if you have paid for the Hub, it is a bit of a waste not to use the internal disk.

I swapped out the 1Tb disk and replaced it with a smaller disk. I put the 1Tb disk in an external case and the Hub runs just the same with the replacement 250Gb disk. So I have the best of both worlds. For me this is a better use of the 1Tb disk. Of course this voids your warranty.

I just bought a 1tb drive (E) for my desktop which I will use to store all of my ISO files as a backup for the hub. For the video ts files that I saved, I’ll put them on the E drive and back them up on c. I only have about 25 movies and probably won’t add more very often, so this should not be hard tokeepup with manually. Using the desktop to rip to my nas, or transferring to the nas and transferring to the hub was too time consuming

I use a mac and OSX, and use an rsync frontend called DropSync to back up the Hubs media files (and a NAS folder) to local hard drives… too much downloading/ripping/encoding work to lose it in the event of a crash…

In The beginning when I had alot of media to back up I used internal 2TB hard drives plugged into my computer once I got them full I pulled them from my system and store them in a safe. Now that I add bits and peices I ran cat 6 cable to an offsite building on my property with another computer that has only backup files on it plus an additional internal hard drive for my media backups when this gets full I will instal another and put that drive in the safe.

All my media is on 1TB portable drives plugged into a nas via usb when we take the motohome places it is easy to take media with us.

I do not use the internal drive of the hub at all and I use a NAS also

Eric_K wrote:
I just bought a 1tb drive (E) for my desktop which I will use to store all of my ISO files as a backup for the hub. For the video ts files that I saved, I’ll put them on the E drive and back them up on c. I only have about 25 movies and probably won’t add more very often, so this should not be hard tokeepup with manually. Using the desktop to rip to my nas, or transferring to the nas and transferring to the hub was too time consuming

Out of interest what NAS do you have and does it have RAID? I keep my files on my PC and then backup them up to to my NAS automatically. I’ve found it is quicker to back files up from the PC to the NAS, than to copy the files to the Hub. When I bought the Hub I thought the internal disk would be useful. But now I don’t use the Internal disk. In fact I swapped it out for a smaller disk. Transferring files to the Hub disk is slow and if the Hub dies my files will be stuck on the internal disk. I prefer to keep my files on the NAS.

But whichever method you use, if the files are important you should keep copies in different locations. If the 1Tb disk you bought is internal to the PC there’s a chance that you could lose both the C: and E: . It depends how important the files are and how paranoid you  are :smiley: Personally I would use the NAS as a backup device. Even with a RAID NAS you should have another backup of important files somewhere else. Just my opinion.

I am still working out my system. I am going to keep a copy of each ISO on the hub and one on my new internal PC 1TB (V drive).  I am going to consider copying XMLs and jpgs from the hub back to the V drive. In the event of a Hub drive failure I could then easily restore my library.    I am just using the Hub for movies for my Children, so I do not do much ripping.  the 10mb/sec transfer speed is fine. I just send the file and walk away.     

Rips are done on the PC, although I have ripped some directly to the NAS. Ripping to the PC seems better.  If I used the NAS for back-up I would then have to transfer the file from the PC  to the NAS and to the Hub.  I agree that some type of back-up system is needed.

My understanding is that Raid may not be the best for back-ups.

I have Casper and another drive as a back-up for my C drive.  Unfortunately Casper cannot back-up to a Network drive.

E

Eric_K wrote:

I am still working out my system. I am going to keep a copy of each ISO on the hub and one on my new internal PC 1TB (V drive).  I am going to consider copying XMLs and jpgs from the hub back to the V drive. In the event of a Hub drive failure I could then easily restore my library.    I am just using the Hub for movies for my Children, so I do not do much ripping.  the 10mb/sec transfer speed is fine. I just send the file and walk away.     

Rips are done on the PC, although I have ripped some directly to the NAS. Ripping to the PC seems better.  If I used the NAS for back-up I would then have to transfer the file from the PC  to the NAS and to the Hub.  I agree that some type of back-up system is needed.

My understanding is that Raid may not be the best for back-ups.

I have Casper and another drive as a back-up for my C drive.  Unfortunately Casper cannot back-up to a Network drive.

E

Out of interest which Buffalo NAS do you have? Did you get the Nova backup software with it? Is the Casper software a disk image or file by file backup software?

I think the nas is Lhs 500 g, will have to check. Casper makes a dupe of your drive. A friend had a drive do bad and had a backup from Casper. Just swapped out for the backup and the computer booted as it did with the original drive. I am able to boot from my backup drive. I have never had much success with backup software from buffalo or wd.

I use Microsoft’s SyncToy http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15155

I set it up so it syncs my Pictures, Movies & Music to my Home Server.

I will definitely think about trying this out.

I use SyncBack from 2BrightSparks to backup and sync files. There is a free version, but I liked it so I bought the paid version.