Back up from WD My Live to another hard drive (rather than other way round)

I would like to hold the original of my files on the WD My Live and then back up from there to another external hard drive.  I want to keep my internal hard drive on PC as uncluttered as possible (I don’t have a lot of internal hard drive capacity).

Is there a way to do this?  The standard seems to be to back up from the internal hard drive or external hard drive to the WD My Live and I can’t figure out how to do it the other way round.

Why do I want to do this?  I have 2TB on My Live and 500G on external hard drive.   I have a lot of photos which I keep in RAW and JPEG which take a lot of space.  I want to keep the RAW and JPEG on the My Live and back up the RAW to the external hard drive.  I do not need to back up the JPEG’s because I can always recreate them from RAW in an emergency.

Any ideas are very welcome.

Further to my original post…

Reading a bit more on the forums I wonder whether creating a safepoint is the way to go.  Only problem is when I tried “discovery” on the safepoint screen it didn’t find my external drive (which is a Seagate connected to my PC via USB).  

Also, if I ever did need to recover data from a safepoint it looks like it can only be done to a WD device.

Am a bit stumped.  I bought the My Live to free up space on my desparately full internal hard drive.  Although I can easlily move my files off the internal on to the My Live, I haven’t figured out a way to back up to my external hard drive.

The only thing I can think of is to keep original files on external hard drive and backing up to My Live, but not sure if I have then got files in right format on My Live for streaming and sharing etc.

I am feeling a bit disappointed with my purchase.  Someone cheer me up!