AVI (MJPG) 320 x 240: Systemerror

There is a problem with the following AVI videofiles. The WD TV live crashes and resets:

MediaInfo:

Format: JPEG

Codec-ID: MJPG

Resolution 320 x 240 px

Program: CanonMVI02

But the the following AVI videofiles are working with no problems:

MediaInfo:

Format: JPEG

Codec-ID: MJPG

Resolution: 640 x 480 px

Program: CanonMVI06

It seems to be a problem with the resolution of these AVI-files (320 x 240 px). Against this MPEG1-files are working with this resolution (320 x 240 px) without any problems.

It would be great, if you could fix this bug.

sorry for my bad english

MrGreen

I’m not sure that you can call this a bug. I don’t believe that WD say that the WDTV supports MJPG.

richUK wrote:

I’m not sure that you can call this a bug. I don’t believe that WD say that the WDTV supports MJPG.

Videofiles with MJPG-Codec  and a resolution of 640 x 480 px are supported. The problem seems to be the combination of the MJPG-Codec with the resolution of 320 x 240 px.

MrGreen wrote:

richUK wrote:

Videofiles with MJPG-Codec  and a resolution of 640 x 480 px are supported. The problem seems to be the combination of the MJPG-Codec with the resolution of 320 x 240 px.

I don’t see MJPG quoted in the manual. There is a difference between being supported and getting a file to play.

MrGreen wrote:

Videofiles with MJPG-Codec  and a resolution of 640 x 480 px are supported. 

No, they are not.

According to documentation, the only video codecs supported in the AVI container are:

Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, and VC-1

Motion JPEG is not listed there. Motion JPEG isn’t listed, actually, anywhere in the documentation.

Now, that doesn’t mean that certain OTHER things won’t WORK, but it definately means it’s not supported.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Now, that doesn’t mean that certain OTHER things won’t WORK, but it definately means it’s not supported.

Ok, MJPG is official not supportet.

But is it not a little bit strange that a codec which in 640 x 480 px works perfectly, crashes the device in a resolution of 320 x 240 px …?

Strange?  Perhaps…  But when you become a “Test Pilot,”  strange is the ordinary.   :slight_smile:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Strange?  Perhaps…  But when you become a “Test Pilot,”  strange is the ordinary.   :slight_smile:

I converted now about 100 AVI files with 320x 240 Motion JPEG compression in a “test-pilot-compatible-format” :wink: