AVI files from DV not playing

Hi richUK,

I’m sure you meant “Out of interest to other prospect buyers the WDTV Live manual is readily available on the web and you don’t need to buy a unit to read it”. Once bought…

I personally never thought to confirm the ad (and info printed on WDTV Live box) by registering to WD forums, search the DV codecs topic(s) (there are quite a few), and then look into (the otherwise) helpful link to the documentation.

Finally, as you can see from my not so frequent replies, I’m not spending too much time on these forums (maybe I should though), and as previously stated, I’m happy with my WDTV Live, especially after understanding better its functions, advantages and limitations.

Thank you kindly,

Alex_WD

Alex_WD wrote:

Hi richUK,

I’m sure you meant “Out of interest to other prospect buyers the WDTV Live manual is readily available on the web and you don’t need to buy a unit to read it”. Once bought…

I personally never thought to confirm the ad (and info printed on WDTV Live box) by registering to WD forums, search the DV codecs topic(s) (there are quite a few), and then look into (the otherwise) helpful link to the documentation.

Finally, as you can see from my not so frequent replies, I’m not spending too much time on these forums (maybe I should though), and as previously stated, I’m happy with my WDTV Live, especially after understanding better its functions, advantages and limitations.

Thank you kindly,

Alex_WD

You are correct I did mean prospective buyers. I did not want people to think that the only way to look at the manual was to buy a unit. Obviously as you say this does not help you as a purchaser but it may help others who may intend to purchase. Glad you are now happy.

I still am in need of a player that plays native DV. Any advice would be great. 

I researched all of the media players out there and none can play DV.  Most are based on the same chipset as the WD. My guess is it is not built into these devices because DV  is an acquisition codec, meant to acquire video for editing, not a distribution codec like H.264.  No excuse just trying to think of the logic. In todays post-DV world, the acquisition and distribution codecs are the same such as MPEG2 and H.264 (AVCHD) so these for the most part arent an issue with the WD.  I batch converted mine with handbrake–the quality is identical to the original and is 1/4 of the file size! These play great on the WD. 

From what I’ve read most are based on a Realtek chipset and not Sigmatek as the WD.

Popcorn Hour and Asus can’t play DV either.  Tried them both.