AV component out cord

The cord that came with my WD Live media plplayer works fine, but I need a longer and extra cord.

I have bought two, neither works.

What speciifcally should I be looking for?

The cords I bought look just like the original, yet they do not work.

Color me confused.

If they look the same its possible that your new one is just wired up differently. 

See 1H of the FAQ for the wiring info.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WDTV-FAQ/td-p/32135#general

Welcome to the forums.

You can also extend the length of the provided cored with just RCA connectors and a regular video component cable.  Just plug the connectors into the end of the provided cable, and the new component cable into those ends.  It’s a good solution because you aren’t limited in any way (you can get RCA cables in very long runs indeed).

Wait,

I am slow.

Is that link explaining I should turn the cords around?

As in in the component replacement cord I buy in the store, I should plug the yellow into what?

Jill

Jill,

No, the link is just explaining what colors match up to component input (on your TV).

The 1/8" jack plugs into your Live, the same way the supplied one does.  But you need to find a component cable that has this jack, and it may not be easy to find.  That’s why I suggested just getting a “regular” component cable – it will have RCA jacks on both ends and you can connect it to the Live supplied cable with RCA connectors (they have female plugs on both ends).  You will still need to watch the color matchup, though.

I really appreciate your time and help.

I have seen this query on the board before go unanswered.

I want an ADDITIONAL cord.

Do you have any idea why all these these generic cords I have with s 1/8" jack on one end and red/white/yellow rca plugs on the other end do NOT work with my WD Live?

Do you see *anything* on your TV when you plug in the cable?  Usually component video that is plugged into the wrong components (i.e. Red to Blue) at least displays but the image is oddly mismatched or misaligned.

For the moment let’s assume you don’t see anything – did you try the cable in the composite output just to see if it works there (obviously you will need to put the ends into the composite input of your TV)?   That will at least eliminate the jack as a potential issue.

Can not be the jack becasue the original cord works in that jack.

As for what I see…gray screen.

Thanks!

Lets start again because this is getting confusing.

The original lead is a 3.5mm jack plug with 3 rca plugs on the other end. Yellow for video and red / white for audio.

You have purchased a similar lead with the same color rca plugs but when you plug in the yellow plug you get no video. If that is the case try plugging the red plug and then the white plug in to the video connector of your tv. (leave the audio at the moment ). Do you now get a picture?

If you have a electrical meter or tester then you can also check the wiring of your lead.

Video is the “Tip” of the 3.5mm plug

Audio output left is the first ring of the 3.5mm plug

Audio output right is the second ring of the 3.5mm plug

The GROUND of all three RCA plugs is the sleeve of the 3.5mm plug.

I had the same experience with the AV connector (yellow = video, red/white = audio) which shouldn’t be confused with the video component connector (red, green, blue). The standard AV Connector (e.g. from HAMA, advertised as CamCorder Adapter) has a completely different wiring. It’s not just a interchange between vellow, red and white but a different wiring also regarding the electric ground. There’s no way to use this cable with the WD unless you rewire it internally. I don’t know which one of the cables is the exotic one and which is the standard. Anyway don’t buy anything unless you have a wiring scheme (which should be as described in the message above)

regards

alembic

alembic wrote:

I had the same experience with the AV connector (yellow = video, red/white = audio) which shouldn’t be confused with the video component connector (red, green, blue). The standard AV Connector (e.g. from HAMA, advertised as CamCorder Adapter) has a completely different wiring. It’s not just a interchange between vellow, red and white but a different wiring also regarding the electric ground. There’s no way to use this cable with the WD unless you rewire it internally. I don’t know which one of the cables is the exotic one and which is the standard. Anyway don’t buy anything unless you have a wiring scheme (which should be as described in the message above)

regards

alembic

The exotic one would be where the ground was not connected to the body of the plug. On any jack plug the ground always goes to the ‘body’ of the plug, therefore the WD lead is correctly wired and it should only be the color of the rca plugs that could be different.

This is crazy.

The only component cord that works with the WD Live is the cord that came with it.

The cords I am buying are identical, what can be uniquea bout this obviously proprietary cord?

It’s the pinout.  Obviously, the cords you’re buying are NOT identical

If you’re using a Third-party cord, you’ll need to use a Continuity Tester to figure out the difference.

My guess is, the COMMON is in a different place, and no amount of changing the order of cables will make a difference if that’s the case.

If the COMMON is correct, and it’s the R/G/B that are different, then all you’d get is weird colors, not a total lack of video…

Also, PLEASE make sure you’re plugging them in into the right jack.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve plugged into the wrong one because the labels are hard to see, and more often than not, I’m looking at them upside down… :slight_smile:

The best option is to stop trying to buy a new 3.5mm to RCA cable, and just use an EXTENDER which was suggested before…  Something like THIS:

http://www.svideo.com/rgbext6.html

or something like THIS, which you can get at Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3040669

plus

any standard RCA-to-RCA component cable.

I really am not trying to be difficult, however

I beleive the answer here is IF I lose or otherwise the original component cord that came with the unit, I am out of luck.

(Me and anyone else who owns one of these)

I read alot, I have never heard of anything like this except among Sony products where their proprietary approach has made their otherwise superior products forbidden in my home.

In your links that you so graciously provided both instances would require the original cord, correct?

Lert me be specific of my needs.

I need TWO cords for tmy WD Live, both of which stay in their respective locations, not with the unit which is purposely designed for portability.

Is there any way I can get an EXTRA component cord for a WD Live?

You can call tech support to buy another cable:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Replacement-composite-cable-help/m-p/33196

jilter wrote:

I really am not trying to be difficult, however

I beleive the answer here is IF I lose or otherwise the original component cord that came with the unit, I am out of luck.

(Me and anyone else who owns one of these)

I read alot, I have never heard of anything like this except among Sony products where their proprietary approach has made their otherwise superior products forbidden in my home.

In your links that you so graciously provided both instances would require the original cord, correct?

Lert me be specific of my needs.

I need TWO cords for tmy WD Live, both of which stay in their respective locations, not with the unit which is purposely designed for portability.

Is there any way I can get an EXTRA component cord for a WD Live?

I am afraid that you are being slightly difficult. Any person with a little knowledge and a soldering iron could make a lead for you in 10 minutes. Its only a lead with jacks on and nothing special. Unfortunately its impossible to say how other leads are wired up. You have the information on how the WD lead is wired, you now need to visit a electronics store with that info and ask them if they have a lead that is the same. The color of the plugs is irrelevant as long as it is wired the same with the inners to the tip and first two rings and the outer to the body or top ring.

I have the infromation of how the WD lead is wired?

Where?

Can you please point again to that for me?

jilter wrote:

I have the infromation of how the WD lead is wired?

Where?

Can you please point again to that for me?

See here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/AV-component-out-cord/m-p/44614#M11663