Automating remote share visibility in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder?

Is there a way to automatically mount the My Cloud on a comptuer that will be remote most of the time?  Right now, I can access the files in Windows Explorer remotly if I log into the website wdmycloud.com, but I’d like to set it up to automate that step.  If I install the local software, I cannot see the shares in Windows Explorer.

I’m using Win7 home premium remotely and may use a Macbook pro in the future remotely.

Download the desktop software off of our Learning Center site:

http://wd.com/setup/wdmycloud

This app will connect to your My Cloud. Once connected, you can access the My Cloud remotely on the computer.

I guess I wasn’t clear.  I can access the files on both the local network as well as remotely, but in order to access the files remotely using Windows Explorer, I must log in to the website first and then select “Open in Explorer”.  After that, I’m good to go, but since it is a Win machine, reboots occurr often.  After each reboot, I have to log back in to the wdmycloud.com site and press the “Open in Explorer” button.  I prefer to have that process automated.

I am looking for the same solution on my Mac. How do you mount the drive/share without having to logging into wd2go.com? I understand you can do it when you are on your local network.

Anyone?  

AmazinglySmooth wrote:

I guess I wasn’t clear.  I can access the files on both the local network as well as remotely, but in order to access the files remotely using Windows Explorer, I must log in to the website first and then select “Open in Explorer”.  After that, I’m good to go, but since it is a Win machine, reboots occurr often.  After each reboot, I have to log back in to the wdmycloud.com site and press the “Open in Explorer” button.  I prefer to have that process automated.

I believe what your looking for is Mapping a network drive.

It depends on what Windows version your using, but on Windows 7, click on the Windows Orb on the task bar, then select “Computer”.

When the Explore window opens, at the top you will see “Map network drive”.

Select it and a new window will open up.

map_network_drive2.jpg

Click Browse, then select expand “WDMyCloud”.

map_network_drive3.jpg

Select the folder you want to mount, then press OK.

When it ask for creditials type them in.

Alternately, you can also open the MyCloud under “Network” as a Network Computer.

Tinwarble wrote:

I believe what your looking for is Mapping a network drive.

It depends on what Windows version your using, but on Windows 7, click on the Windows Orb on the task bar, then select “Computer”.

When the Explore window opens, at the top you will see “Map network drive”.

Are you able to map the drive when you are not  on your network as the mycloud drive and connected remotely over the internet? and not signed in via  https://www.wd2go.com?

The mapping network drive in windows will only work remotely if you use FTP. But if you care about drive security, you won’t use FTP.

There are programs like net drive and web drive that will let you mount sftp and WebDAV servers onto you laptop automatically. So you turn your wd drive into an sftp or WebDAV server and then use these programs. This is not easy but possible if you are willing to take the effort. Doing this will void your warranty. Also if you do a search for net drive, someone complained that this method is too slow butthat really depends on the wan upload speed from your internet service provider.

2 Likes