Automatic network configuration not working

I am using a D-Link DWA-140 USB adaptor to connect to my wireless N network. The adapter is firmware version 1.3, which is on WD’s compatible list. The problem I’m having is for some reason when I go to configure my wireless network automatically, I get a message saying “Unable to obtain an ip address. The media player has limited or no connectivity.”

It turns out if I manually configure my network, I can get it running, but I’m just wondering why the automatic DHCP thing is not working. BTW, my router (Linksys WRT320N) does support DHCP and it is enabled.

Hmmm.  Do other wireless clients have any issues, or is it only the WDTV that has this issue?

What WDTV LIve firmware are you running? Have you tried recycling the power and resetting the unit to factory defaults plus recycling the router power.

I have seem the same error message. Sometimes, it may take a few tries to connect to the network.

Other clients can connect just fine, even using the same D-Link USB stick.

I’m on the newest firmware (I updated it via a wired connection).

I haven’t tried resetting anything yet since both the router and the WDTV Live are brand new, but I could try that.

slantedview wrote:

I’m on the newest firmware (I updated it via a wired connection).

I haven’t tried resetting anything yet since both the router and the WDTV Live are brand new, but I could try that.

It is always advisable to recycle the power and reset to defaults after changing the firmware. It appears that this cures a lot of ills.