Auto Backup on Android?

I recently acquired 6 TB My Cloud. Have struggled a lot with Smartware which turned out to be a disappointment. Changed over to FreeFileSync for my Windows desktop after mapping the My Cloud as one of the drives. Now my backup of Windows desktop take place smoothly. Credit and Thanks go to Bennor and cpt_paranoi.

I am now looking for a similar solution for my Android Samsung note 3. I am able to do manual backup by selecting “Upload” and selecting folder from SD Card. But I would definitely want this to be automated. Any tool which I can use for this? How will it address the authentication issue with My Cloud? Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I use CM File Manager on my Android devices. They access the MycCoud as an SMB file server. You enter the access credentials, just like you do when mapping a drive under Windows, and it reconnects, just like Windows.

It doesn’t do backup/sync, though, but I’d expect such a tool to connect just like File Manager does.

I’m sure Google will find Android backup/sync recommendations.

1 Like

If you do a forum search using the magnifying glass icon upper right you’ll see various other threads discussing how to do backups from mobile devices. Here is one such thread:
https://community.wd.com/t/backup-android/161175

Bottom line is look through the Google Play store for a backup app, there are many, and test them out. Just keep in mind that most of those backup apps may not backup the device remotely (ie while you are away from the local network). There are various unofficial methods that may allow for remote backup but none of them are officially supported by WD. Using FTP, or using the WD supported mobile apps are the only current official methods of remote backup from mobile devices.

1 Like

There’re many data backup apps could transfer data from android device to computer in few simple steps, but you need to connect your phone to computer manually. Try Coolmuster Android Assistant, it would transfer everything between phone and computer.

1 Like

An android data backup app could transfer everything from your phone to computer, you need to connect your phone to computer and start the app, then the app would detect your phone data automatically, you can select and check those data you want to backup.

1 Like

I have been able to successfully able to implement a solution using an app called FolderSync. It works like a charm I must say. Does exactly what I want and even more. I can now schedule syn my files from samsung note 3 to cloud and google drive easily.

1 Like

If you need to transfer or backup data from your phone to pc, some professional data backup programs are good choices for you. This android transfer app allows you to save a lot of time to transfer or backup text messages, contacts, photos, and other media files like videos, music files.

1 Like

Hello Parambir - I’m having the same challenges as you, I’ve downloaded FolderSync and am trying to find a better alternative to syncing my phone photos to my WD ‘MyCloud’ device without having to use the default MyCloud app … do you have any advice on how you link the phone/FolderSync with the correct backup folder in the MyCloud box and create a ‘new Sync’?? Any help would be most appreciated…

1 Like

Hello. If you have downloaded FolderSync app you should be able to easily configure folder pairs and then define how and when you want the backup to be done. Using this app you can pretty much select any folder of your phone and back up on My cloud. All this can be done without the use of MyCloud app.

1 Like

You mean to sync folders using FTP to access My Cloud? or is there another way?

1 Like