Audio Playback Capabilities

The specifications of the WD TV Mini Media Player says it will palyback APE files:

File Formats Supported
Video - -AVI (Xvid, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MP4/MOV (MPEG4), RM or RMVB 8/9/10
Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, PNG
Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, OGG, APE
Subtitle - SRT, SSA, SUB, SMI

Other posts I’ve read had requests for APE and now I need clarity if it is actually a supported codec.

Also, I was would like to know if these media players will playback true 24-bit audio files proper (FLAC, WAV, etc).  There is not mention of this but I don’t want to presume it isn’t capable without asking.  The Brite-View CinemaTube BV-5005HD does playback 24/96 audio files and I don’t want to dismiss the WD products as an option if they will do it as well.

This is a board dedicated to the WDTV Live only which does not support APE.

I did not find any other board appropriate to the other two products in the same family, i,e. WD TV Mini Media Player and WD TV HD Media Player and I apologize if I overlooked it.  If you know of another board you could kindly refer me to I’ll be more than happy to post there, otherwise this is the best (only) place to get such questions answered. 

Thanks for at least clarifying that APE is not supported in WDTV Live. Since you seem to be somewhat familiar and answered in part, does WDTV Live support 24-bit audio?  Maybe someone from WD can provide a definitive answer on these points since that would clear it up for others that come here looking for common facts about these products.

The WD TV Mini forum is located here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Mini-DVR-Expander/bd-p/tv_mini

The WD TV HD forum is located here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/bd-p/tv_hd

Not sure how you missed them, as they’re right below the link to the WD TV Live forums, but there you go.  :)

Thanks PixelPower for getting this in the proper location. I should have looked under the WD TV & DVR Expander category to find the Mini thread.  The reviews I’ve read are at least quoting the company specs that APE is supported in the Mini so I trust that it indeed does so as claimed.  Does anyone know if any of these 3 units play back 24-bit audio at 24-bit?  I suppose I could just buy it and find out but it’s seems wasteful for everyone involved to return the unit in the event it doesn’t.  I only ask because the Brite-View CinemaCube states it does and that’s well-worth an extra $40 for me (in addition to DTS, etc.).  I suppose if no one knows, it should be presumed it doesn’t.

How can either experienced users or at the very least WD product representatives not know (or care) to answer two simple questions?  Well, for the next person(s) that might want to know, I’ll be more than happy to go out of my way to say good luck on the APE, it says it will do it. As far as 24-bit, WD doesn’t claim it will (in all fairness) and I found out from another source that concurs it won’t. 

Funny how I neither own the product or represent WD and I’m trying to set a simple record straight.  I found another product that has some features yet not others, but they were eager to answer questions and admit limitations in the current implementation. In this day and age, that’s class.  It used to be standard operating procedure.  Just bought it.