Audio out of Sync - not just with DD5.1?

Hey everyone, I was hoping to see if anyone is having the same problems I am - just about all of my movies’ audio are falling out of sync within the first 20 minutes of playing. (I don’t know how to tell if the file is DD5.1 - but I do not think it is)

The issue exists over HDMI as well as Optical Out. And with audio set to “digital” as well as “stereo”. It also exists over the network as well as on a USB connected drive.

The files play just fine both on my desktop and on the original WDTV hardware.

Here are the file details - any input would be appreciated!!  (the issue seemed to have began after the first firmware update)

Aviator:

General
Complete name                    : /Volumes/Media/Itunes/Movies/Avaiator.mp4
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                         : mp42
File size                        : 3.08 GiB
Duration                         : 2h 50mn
Overall bit rate                 : 2 590 Kbps
Movie name                       : Avaiator
Album                            : Avaiator
Performer                        : Movies
Genre                            : Drama
Encoded date                     : UTC 2008-09-17 00:41:26
Tagged date                      : UTC 2008-11-11 20:00:27
Writing application              : HandBrake 0.9.2 2008021900
Cover                            : Yes

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : Main@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC           : No
Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 2 427 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 2 500 Kbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                           : 368 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode                  : Variable
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate               : 23.964 fps
Maximum frame rate               : 23.988 fps
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.382
Stream size                      : 2.88 GiB (94%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 58 svn-736M
Encoding settings                : cabac=0 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=umh / subme=5 / brdo=0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=0 / bime=0 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=abr / bitrate=2500 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq=‘blurCplx^(1-qComp)’ / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30
Language                         : English
Encoded date                     : UTC 2008-09-17 00:41:26
Tagged date                      : UTC 2008-09-17 03:16:48

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version                   : Version 4
Format profile                   : LC
Format settings, SBR             : No
Codec ID                         : 40
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 160 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 249 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 194 MiB (6%)
Encoded date                     : UTC 2008-09-17 00:41:27
Tagged date                      : UTC 2008-11-11 20:00:27

Text
ID                               : 3
Format                           : Apple text
Codec ID                         : text
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 bps
Stream size                      : 768 Bytes (0%)
Encoded date                     : UTC 2008-09-17 00:41:27
Tagged date                      : UTC 2008-09-17 03:16:48

How are you sharing your files? From XP, Win 7, or is it through SAMBA or are you streaming them to the box? More details on this will help the developers figure out the problem.

What firmware are you running? 

Thanks.

thanks for the response -

I’m running firmware 1.01.11

My files are stored on my Mac. However this occurs when I’m streaming (wired network - wireless kept dropping out) , and it also occurs when I’m playing files locally from an attached drive or flash drive connected directly to the WDTV Live.

I should also note that this issue seems to have started after the update to 1.01.11 - as I know I have watched these files previously without issue…

I am also having this problem.  The worst are DVD backups that are x264/DD5.1 in an MKV container.  I’m streaming from a network share on WinXP SP3.  Wired network.  HDMI out for video only direct to TV.  Toslink digital audio out direct to AV Receiver.  I haven’t tested a lot, but so far my DVD backups that are x264/DTS in an MKV container are in synch.  I am encoding these with Handbrake 0.94 using “Pass-through” for the audio.

the .11 firmware causes audio sync problems with mp4 files.

revert to orig .10 firmware until it gets fixed.

I thought my WDlive is messed up or corrupted , I’ve bought my unit last night and updated it thinking that the new firmware does solve lot of bugs but playing my .MP4 files were really messy , no sync at all and sometimes sound goes faster like FF while video playback runs normally or sometimes it restarts itself

FuGGer - Thanks I did just that (reverted to orginal firmware) and it fixed my issue.

Let’s hope they correct this on the next round . . .  .

Not sure I’m willing to muck with firmware b/c I want to be able to return the box to the store just in case.  I got to Tier 2 support on the phone today (very nice guy).  He blamed this on the fact that I’m sending two separate signals out to two separate devices that are processing it asynchronously.  But when I told him that my Xbox360 and upconverting DVD player don’t have this problem, he didn’t have anything to add.  His suggestion was to send some MediaInfo reports on my MKV files (also happened with an AVI today).

The product is almost 3 months on the market, has already had one firmware update… I’m just not that willing to be a beta tester for these guys.  I think I’m boxing this up and taking it back.  I’ll have to look at a competitor’s product, I guess.  Bummer, because I really like this box.

nickelarcade - i feel the same way, trust me.

but give the firmware downgrade a shot - i was unsure too but was able to complete it very easily, and now it is just running on the original firmware that it came with in the box . . . .

i really like the box alot which is why i’m keeping it and holding out for a solid firmware release - but until then, i can use it as i normally would with no sync issues now that i’m back on the old FW.

. . .good luck

I had taken it back to the store already before I saw your post.  I will definitely keep tabs on firmware progress for this box… I might buy it later.  But for now, I thought it was better to get my money back and probably use that for more hard drive space.  I’m all full up!

And I’ll be researching competing products, too… there’s a lot out there.

some of my mp4 files runs crazy , the video plays fine until 5-9 it FF itself by 108x(assume) and the sound runs normal then when the video finishes it starts it self again , this didn’t happen in WDTV

I have too noticed the audio gets out of sync after about 20min. I have most of my dvds backed up x264/DD5.1. I’m going to try and downgrade the firmware.

Come’on WD, I heard so many good things about this product.

kapperz wrote:

I have too noticed the audio gets out of sync after about 20min. I have most of my dvds backed up x264/DD5.1. I’m going to try and downgrade the firmware.

Come’on WD, I heard so many good things about this product.

i too have mp4s that will play normally but start Fast Forwarding itself after about 20+ mins into the movie.

these mp4s, i  am unable able to FF, then Skip the movie past the 20+ min mark.

i am still on the orig firmware.

anyway, i fixed a few by extracting the raw video and audio streams and then repackaging it again as an mp4.

i used mp4box with the yamb gui…it takes about 10mins per movie.

i still have 30-40 mp4s that have this issue and im hoping a new f/w will fix it since all of them play fine on the pc.

I got my WDTV Live yesterday and updated it to 1.01.11 right away using the USB.  I have a lot of MP4 Hi-def movies and the sound gets out-of-sync after I perform a fast forward or rewind.   I reverted the firmware to 1.01.00 and the out-of-sync problem was gone, but the video sometimes is not playing smoothly.   

Same boat. I don’t remember the stock fi rmware version I had, but I’m trying to get WD support to send me it. Other companies make this sort of thing easily available on their website. This shouldn’t be this hard.

I have two series from diffirent fansub teams (in MP4 format), first is one piece , I uploaded part of episode but there is more than one episode and there are some that work and the other serires is BOTI first two episodes worked no problem but begining with the third episode the problem started , in general MP4 fomat needs to be more taken care of

http://www.youtube.com/user/marzoqikhaled these are my own uploaded files , hope WD sees them and fix

EDIT: forget to mention , this happens on both firmwares , works flawless with the older wdtv(ver.1) , I don’t know about ver.2

I am seeing the same problem with all DD 5.1 MKV,  If I play the movie direct from my TV (has USB connection & plays MKV) Its all good, but when played through WD LIVE TV audio is out of sync.

There are a number of problem with this Version, when the hell are they going to release new firmware?

WD live TV so far has been a load of BS.  

Yes, it’s BS.

WD, you need to get some spin doctor assistance. Stop stalling and giving us polity - but absolutely useless - answers. Acknowledge the problems that are obviously there, so we know that you are working on them - preferably with an ETA of the upcoming firmware.

The WD TV live unit is on paper an excellent product - but in it’s current state, I’m soooo close to abandoning it and looking elsewhere. And I’m certainly not going to recommend it to anyone else.

1 Like

yeah , tody my friend came and I told I’ve bought this new device but didn’t really feel like telling him to buy one for himself because of a bug big like this , I know that WD team will be late releasing the next firmware because of the uncountable number of bugs

It is a shame you took it back. I reverted to 1.01.1 and it fixed many of the issues with  1.01.11 .  I still find some movies play out of synch with 5.1 but they are o/k on stereo. I feel sure a future upgrade will fix this. But I am still very happy with the player anyway. It is great watching hd movies in mkv without paying rediculous blueray prices.