Audio gap when playing concerts in MP3

When I play a concert in Mp3, there is a gap between songs, is there a way to eliminate that gap?

If they are separate MP3’s then there will be a gap.

that’s why MP3’s ■■■■.

they have the stupid little clip off.   not to mention they sound like ■■■■.

use FLAC if you need to compress they are as close to true .wav as you will get.

down with MP3’s

I agree FLAC is a far better format, but a decent player should be able to get rid of the gap between MP3’s and/or cross fade unfortunately for us WDTV is not a decent player.

Down with WD

that’s why MP3’s ■■■■.

No, that’s why the Live (as well as the original WD) ■■■■. MP3s are fine and other players do playback them without muting the first few moments of each file, it’s actually a standalone bug from years ago.

What devices do you all know of that have continuous play without gaps when playing audio files. CD’s generally have a gap because normally they are separate musical tracks and it would very odd for one track to run into another.

richUK wrote:

What devices do you all know of that have continuous play without gaps when playing audio files. CD’s generally have a gap because normally they are separate musical tracks and it would very odd for one track to run into another.

I know the iPod plays a CD concert in Mp3 without gaps.

I have a lot of Conerts in CD and they all play without gaps in any system. Mp3 should work that way also in WDTV Live.

If you have live concert split over several mp3s you’ll always notice a short break between files when people are clapping their hands, cheering on pretty much any player. That’s why there’s a cue format for mp3s that saves and entire CD into one mp3 but still makes each song selectable but which won’t work on most players.

However , the Live as well as the old WD inherited a bug from the old DVD standalone days (10 years or so ago): skipping to or even playing a regular mp3 file has it’s first few moments muted which annoys the hell out of me.

So why no change to firmware accept CUE files from MP3, FLAC, WAV, the solution resolved this UGLY problema, because it’s worry listen one LIVE SHOW and one CD continuos sound with GAPLESS?

P.S. I belived that is very simple alter firmware to support CUE files.

Rockbox.

I bought a Sansa DMP (model c240) for $10 and loded this open source firmare on it and it plays gapless .flac.

it’s amazing WD continues to ignore this feature request. I know it’s software related because that Sansa model doesn’t play flac witht he OEM firmware. But it plays perfectly with Rockbox. So the hardware can handle it.

odd for one track to run into another?

Some of the most well know classic rock albums were recoded and designed to play continously and pretty much every live album is meant to play seemlessly. this is not odd at all.

emagon4523 wrote:

odd for one track to run into another?

Some of the most well know classic rock albums were recoded and designed to play continously and pretty much every live album is meant to play seemlessly. this is not odd at all.

Just because Pink Floyd and a few live albums do not have a gap does not make them the majority. My use of the word odd was in relationship to the majority of tracks which are separate songs where playing without a gap would be ‘odd’ as they would run into each other. These separate songs also have a gap on the CD. 

It also appears that your solution of using Rockbox is not as straightforward as you claim particulary if you encode to mp3. (which is what is thread is all about)

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GaplessHowTo

“For many kinds of music it is desirable to have gapless transitions between the tracks. Typical examples are live recordings, classical music or audio books (when it’s too difficult to cut between sentences). Unfortunately, gapless playback is a little bit tricky when using the mp3 format, but it’s possible in Rockbox if you encode your mp3s the right way”.

see also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapless_playback

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GeneralFAQ#Does_Rockbox_support_gapless_pla

rickUK please listen ALAN PARSONS PROJECT “Pyramid” album for example in a single FLAC file and the separate tracks and you will notice distinctly what we mean as “gapless” I got this CD at home and it plays fine without interruption one song after another without the **bleep** “gapless” in my CD Player and DVD Player.

That is what we are complaining about the behavior of co WDTV Live, where he intends to play albums in MP3 or FLAC at least do it properly

Why can’t we just settle this with the Ideas thread and let users vote on how much they want this feature over others? Why continue to argue here, let’s let this feature comptete with the others
  Al

I’m definitely with you ! The option playing gapless FLAC is very important.

1 Like

Optional music crossfade
Hello, is it planned in the near future wd  via firmwarupdate option to fade/crossfade the music?

Thanks

Anna:smiley:

Your post sounds more like an Idea or a Feature Request. The best place for this is in our Ideas Lab. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it. However, I would search first and make sure that there isn’t another idea similar to yours that you could add your post to and vote on.

Ideas Lab
http://community.wdc.com/t5/community/categorypage/category-id/idea

[Edit] 

Sorry, just saw your post in the ideas lab.