Audio from .mpg files not playing, same audio works in .mkv

Apologies if I’m missing something simple, I just got a Livehub last week and thus far like what I see.  But I’m having a strange issue with MPG files that I’ve downloaded from my HD tivo.  I’ve run them through TivoDecode which I’ve been using for years and which outputs an MPEG file, 29.97 fps with Dolby AC3 stereo 384 kbps.

The file plays fine on my computer and on a variety of other devices, but when I try and play it from the LiveHub – either through a Network Share or by copying it directly over, I get perfect video and no audio.

Other content, such as MKV videos containing the same type of audio, play fine.

The LiveHub is connected through Component Video (my only option) and stereo left-right analog audio.

Am I doing something wrong?  The device is such a ninja of video formats (ISO, wow!) that I can’t believe it won’t play something plain vanilla like an MPEG file.

Thanks for any help!

–Jason

It sounds like the video type is unsupported. Try running it through Handbrake (if high-definition) or alltoavi (if SD) and converting it to another file type to see if it plays.

jbsjbs wrote:

Apologies if I’m missing something simple, I just got a Livehub last week and thus far like what I see.  But I’m having a strange issue with MPG files that I’ve downloaded from my HD tivo.  I’ve run them through TivoDecode which I’ve been using for years and which outputs an MPEG file, 29.97 fps with Dolby AC3 stereo 384 kbps.

The file plays fine on my computer and on a variety of other devices, but when I try and play it from the LiveHub – either through a Network Share or by copying it directly over, I get perfect video and no audio.

Other content, such as MKV videos containing the same type of audio, play fine.

The LiveHub is connected through Component Video (my only option) and stereo left-right analog audio.

Am I doing something wrong?  The device is such a ninja of video formats (ISO, wow!) that I can’t believe it won’t play something plain vanilla like an MPEG file.

Thanks for any help!

–Jason

Jason:

I beleive that MPEG4 is the format that supports embedded AC3 audio. Try renaming the extension to MP4 or M4V and see how it goes. If not, try Handbraking it to the proper MP4 format.

Regards,

Dennis