Audio File name issue

I am having issues with my network player. It see’s all the folders on the WD Cloud drive but does not always list the track names in the correct order - even though they are fine in the Cloud.

All my albums are structured in folders and then track order with 01, 02, 03 etc before the track name. Sometimes the 01 is not brought through to the Network player so it lists the files in name order only. None of these files are tagged.

I have even tried to edit the file names in the Cloud - so I changed them to A01, A02 etc - but again it does not bring this through to the Network Player. It’s as if it is getting the name of the file from somewhere else. Help from the Pioneer N-30 (Network Player) forum suggest it is how the DLNA presents the data. So where do I find that - I have looked through settings but can see nothing.

Hopefully I am missing something very simple but would appreciate any help you can provide.



Welcome to the Community.

File renaming with metadata has to be done on the files. usually on Windows, you can right-click a music file and add specific info under details. Some media players can also add this information.

Thanks for replying. But the metadata is fine on Windows and in the Cloud - but when I access the file from the media player it is different. I believe from what the Network Player forum tell me - this is not a problem with the player because it gets the data delivered to it by the NAS/Cloud. 

For example, I have a folder (album) of music with tracks:

01 - Today

02 - Believe

03 - Andrew

 . . 

It looks like the above in Windows and in the Cloud but when I access the album from my Pioneer network player it does not have the numbers or dashes, just the words and therefore orders the tracks incorrectly:




Does this make more sense?



The media server (Twonky) uses the metadata tags in the files to present file information to DLNA clients like WMP or your Pioneer. So, if you want Twonky to present accurate track information, you will have to add metadata tags to them. You can usually do this automatically with a media library manager, like MediaMonkey, or a specialist tagger like MP3Tag.

Even then, the way in which tracks are presented on the DLNA client varies from client to client; see this thread for examples:

Many thanks. Now use Medi Monkey and can edit the tag name direct from the NAS. Just need to work out how to rip and tag tracks in one go now -  but will check Media Monkey for that.

Some might call me perverse, but the vast majority of my music collection has been ripped from CD by me, using EAC, and I’ve typed in the track data myself, and scanned, cleaned and resized the artwork, and created a Unix scripting system to rename ripped tracks from this, and tidy up the riplogs, rename files and artwork, and create ‘folder.jpg’ and ‘back_cover.jpg’ artwork files.  This scripting system means that I can type in the titles whilst the CD is ripping, and do a ripping session of a number of CDs, scan & clean the artwork and drop it into the album folders, and then just type ‘ripprocess’, and I end up with nice, tidy renamed music files.  Since this scripting system was written to run under Cygwin, I can SSH into the MyCloud and run it there, as it takes an age to run many of the analysis scripts via a 100Mb ethernet link…  Having the disk connected directly to the processor means it’s even faster that when using a USB disk on the PC (it’s an I/O bound process, not processor bound).

I always rip to a directory ‘NewlyRipped’, so that when I load them into my MediaMonkey library, it’s easy to select them to infer metadata from the filename, do volume analysis, and compress them to MP3 in a parallel directory for mobile media players.  Once this is all done, I either manually drag & drop, or use MM’s ‘Auto-Organise’ function to move them into my main library.

Yes; this is somewhat obsessive, but it works for me…

It’s only recently that I’ve got connected to the internet, and can now use the ‘get metadata’ facility in EAC.  But I often find that the metadata is either plain wrong, or not conforming the the convention I’ve adopted over 20 years or so.  So it takes about as long to check the metadata as it would to type in…

MediaMonkey will get metadata and album artwork when you rip.  But, as I said, I prefer to use EAC for the rip status information it gives, and the improved error correction.  MM also allows you to search for metadata and artwork on Amazon.

Once you have music in MM, there are a number of ways it can help you with metadata.  Select an album or track, and right-click to the menu, and then look at the ‘Auto-tag’ options; from filename, from Web.  There are also some very useful add-on scripts, such as AlbumArtTagger, that offer very sophisticated processing of artwork, to make album art consistent (e.g. to make all albums include artwork in the file, or all use a folder.jpg file in the folder).  It’s well worth having a look around the MM add-ons pages, to see what useful stuff is there.  I also use ‘MonkeyFlow’, a facsimile of CoverFlow.

I’ve assumed you’re new to MM; if not, apologies for egg-sucking advice…