Audio File metadata not keeping edits

I have spent weeks consolidating audio files from every old USB drive, thumb drive, and mp3 player that I have and put it all in the Twonky server on the WD Cloud unit.

I also started to FIX all the errors that I had for album, artist, track and other metadata that was off or just wrong with the files.

In doing this, I was using MusicBrainz Picard, which does a great job, it fixed all the errors and ‘saved’ the information to the files.

However, it actually DIDNT save the information to the files.

When I re-scanned the directories it was back to the bad info and the fixes were lost.

I had a few directories of music still on a local drive, and tried to edit them, it stuck, but not on the Cloud drive.

Talking with support got me the response that I would need to move all the music OFF the Cloud drive and make any changes then move the music back on the Cloud drive.

I dont have a huge library (4k songs with all the rips of the original CDs I had) but it took some 20 hours to get it all on the drive, now I got to copy them off, make the changes and then copy them back???

That is completely un-acceptable.

Does anyone know of an application that they have done similar and had good results with? or can someone help me get more support then the support staff at WD is providing. Because, I have to say, some of the guys on this forum have been way more helpful than WD has been.

What type of files are you taging. 

There is certainly no reason why the files are not updated.

You could try mp3tag (free)

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I have never had any problems with it.

Always test on a few tracks first and see if it gives you results you require.

Are you using the results of Twonky to determine that it didn’t “save,” or are you opening the files back up in the editor and seeing no changes?

If the former, then you may need to fully reset the Twonky DB – it may not be looking at changes to files; it may only be looking for new files or relocated files.   Just a theory.

@Tony,

No I am using the file attributes to see the changes. I am not using Twonky for confirmation.

I had tried that process with Twonky, as you cannot media share AND make any modifications to the file. So, turning off the sharing (IE shut down Twonky) and you can ‘edit’ the files, but the info is not being saved.

I am using the right click in windows to look at the file attributes and I have even reset the MyCloud after edits in hopes that it was just a caching issue that didnt show new information as the file data didnt change so. But, no joy on that either.

Music files: MP3, WMA, FLAC

I agree that there SHOULD be no reason that they arent accepting the change in meta data, but they are not.

I will try mp3tag and see if that does the trick. If it does, that would be interesting. But, yea, it is a head scratcher.

Testing, yea, I got a few directories that I test with so I dont mess up the whole set of data. :slight_smile:

Thanks, I will see if that makes the difference. And post back here when I do.

GBConnect wrote:

@Tony,

No I am using the file attributes to see the changes. I am not using Twonky for confirmation.

I had tried that process with Twonky, as you cannot media share AND make any modifications to the file. So, turning off the sharing (IE shut down Twonky) and you can ‘edit’ the files, but the info is not being saved.

I am using the right click in windows to look at the file attributes and I have even reset the MyCloud after edits in hopes that it was just a caching issue that didnt show new information as the file data didnt change so. But, no joy on that either.

What do you mean ‘you cannot media share AND make any modifications to the file’?

I can make modifications and change tag info without any shuting down of twonky.

it gave me an error. File in use, if I remember correctly.