Attention Themers 1.12.14 Mochi OSD

Forgetting about “Moviesheets” for a minute …

The other cool thing is … creating Views for “Landscape” Thumbnails is now possible … and also “Mixing” Portrait and

Landscape thumbnails into the same view.

Done a few tests of 640x360 Jpg at 60K … speed is pretty good

Back to “Moviesheets” … “Wallsheets” would be fairly fast too im guessing since they take up less then half the resolution on the screen.

eg.

Yep, I’ve been testing that too.

The only problem is that you sort of half to design everything around your moviesheet (meaning all views can only use one moviesheet).  On this plus side, you can have the metadata appear for the Preview view.

I’ve tested with 1280x720 jpgs and speed seems good with those too.  You just have to delete the metadata xmls, if the xmls exist it seems to slow everything down.

On the down side though, I think I’m going to have to go back to the drawing board on the HUB themes.  I don’t see changing anything on the SMP because of the file size limitations, at least unless someone finds an easier way to change that limitation or finds some other work around.

The only problem is that you sort of half to design everything around your moviesheet (meaning all views can only use one moviesheet).  On this plus side, you can have the metadata appear for the Preview view.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

True,

But,  … you could say the same for a sheet designed for use with “Gallery View”

(and have to design the rest of the theme around it)

It all comes down to a “Presonal Preference”  on which viewtype you prefer. (Wall,Std,Sheet)

Also, Tested and Working… scale_type=“pan”  align=“left”   (or right,top,bottom)  so a single “Sheet” can contain different layouts and design and only a certain portion of it displaying  in certain views.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Just came across this …Display of  “Sheet” in Gallery View with Metadata and Title Intact

1. Copied Savages.mp4 a couple of days ago and scraped the Info using the Hub’s Internal Scraper

2. In Gallery View (and ALL other Views there is No File Extension … which is nothing unusual)

3. Downloaded some Fanart and placed into the Theme…  Savages   (No file Extension)

1. Displays fine (along with Metadata in Gallery View) and displays fine in all other views.
2 Likes

JoeySmyth wrote:

But,  … you could say the same for a sheet designed for use with “Gallery View”

(and have to design the rest of the theme around it)

Oh…don’t get me wrong, this is one of the best finds ever.  I just meant it’s going to change how we do theming and how we look at designing a theme.

Yeah, it’s great to finally have something that opens up the possibilities for new ways to design and implement themes.    :smiley:

EDIT: “Moviesheets” or Backdrops also work for “Music Folders” as well.  

a few thoughts

wall mode looks nice :slight_smile:

probably best to keep the 1280 x 720 and just add align right,top

so that it will work with folders and files, regardless of template used

something else I noticed, should probably add bg=“1” other wise

folder/file name text is hidden, at least it was for me

probably some good options to ask thumbgen about

abilitiy to save all sheet’s to different location, this would speed up finding and gathering everything

and of coarse the naming conventions, just a guess but if Batman.avi exist, we don’t want thumbgen to replace the movie with the oddly named .jpg file

You only need bg=“1” if you need to display it behind the overlay (and the overlay is using bg=“1”), but is not really necessary if you make part of the overlay as your moviesheet.  Use of bg=“1” is subjective depending on the moviesheet and how you have your theme xml arranged.

And you can already set different location in thumbgen.  I’m using a direct path to export my moviesheets to my PC instead of the saving to the movie folder.  In Input/Output naming just set the path as something like:

C:\User\Moviesheets$N (.jpg)

This will save it to any location you chose, then I just use a bat file in that folder to rename everything.

Just copy this to a text file.

ren *.jpg *.mkv

or for .png

ren *.png *.mkv

Then save the text file and then rename from .txt to .bat then once you generate everything, run the .bat file.

yes bg=1" is a bit subjective

good tip on thumbgen usage

for rename, I’m using bulk rename utility, has a nice little gui, lots of advance options, and you can see what it’s going to do, before you run it on your files

I’m going to try a CDATA struct tonight, see if I can get anywhere with that

I tried uploading a zip file containing symlinks, but SMP converted the symlinks, so while present there became unusable 

KAD79 wrote:> for rename, I’m using bulk rename utility, has a nice little gui, lots of advance options, and you can see what it’s going to do, before you run it on your files

Yes, I have a bulk renamer too.  But for simple file renaming (ie: filename.jpg to filename.mkv) I find it easier just to use a bat file.   One click on the bat and your done, and since I’m exporting all the moviesheets to one folder there’s no opening software, no selecting files and in about 2 secs. it’s all done.

since my sheets have been quite spreadout

in windows if you open drive level

and type _sheet.jpg in the search box

it shows everything, simple copy and paste

but nice tip with thumbgen, I’ll just export new sheets to directory

Just thought I’d share.

4 Likes

Tinwarble wrote:

Just thought I’d share.

Oh, why do you guys tease us non - themers so!!!

Brilliant work, again.

Cheers

Here’s my quick little work …

2 Likes

the german word for this work - geil 

I hope the Alaske Theme work will go forward… 

Regards

Gerd

These look brilliant guys, awesome work so far.

Can’t wait to try one out…

excellent work guys

so far, I’m at a dead end on how to solve the size limitation on SMP in a user friendly way

Other Tags that iv’e tested and work for displaying Moviesheets/Fanart  :smiley:

album_playback.xml
@@album_name

metadata_view_info.xml
@@movie_title
@@music_title

metadata_view_backdrop.xml
@@movie_title

video_run.xml

@@filename

yep this method should work with any text variables

also did you know the opposite also works, if you have an image variable and you want to display some text

use the image variable inside a text element, and the name of the image will be displayed

Since I’m unable to find any user friendly solution to the size issue

I’ve submitted an idea

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Ideas/Run-custom-theme-from-thumbdrive/idi-p/502876

Please vote for this idea

this could be WD’s change to regain some good will and open up the SMP to these new theming ideas

currently these new theming options discussed above, are primarily going to be limited to the HUB

and not the live SMP due to size restraints, the idea above would remove the size restriction

@KAD79

also did you know the opposite also works, if you have an image variable and you want to display some text

use the image variable inside a text element, and the name of the image will be displayed

Yes ive tried that a months ago,  but found it displays the Full Path of the Image Name.

Similar to the @@media_filepath tag.