ATTENTION -> 1.02.10 Firmware Users!

I think I’ve found the solution to fix ALL my issues with the latest firmware.

It’s been over 18 hours and no connection problems what-so-ever! Therefore, I AM DA MAN!

Those of you who kind of downgraded to previous versions as well as those who didn’t:

Launch the GUI and simply change the DHCP to Static and give your NAS drive(s) its own IP. Although not necessary, but shutdown everything, ie; computers, printers, everything including your NAS drive and router: EVERYTHING.

Then, turn them on one at a time. I suggest turn on your NAS before your computer (just this time!).

That’s all. AND … give me Kudos. Lots of them … :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yeah, if not already, feel free to update to the latest firmware. :wink:

P.S. If this didn’t work and you gave me kudos, you can always come back and well you know … :wink:

1 Like

This sounds like a logical fix.  I look forward to hearing some responses!  You get $1.  Like in the movie, Trading Places.

feartheyu wrote:

This sounds like a logical fix.  I look forward to hearing some responses!  You get $1.  Like in the movie, Trading Places.

It’s logical, as Mr. Spock used to say ;) 

Looking forward to that cheque for the amount of $1.00 :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to deflate your bubble, but I’ve had a static IP set.  Power cycling the entire network was one of the first things I tried.  I involuntarily did a full start up process of everything when I lost power, and I am currently looking at the Connection Failed popup still.

I truly hope if continues to work for you though.  As for me, I’m not quite as concerned anymore about it as my new NAS enclosure and drives have arrived today.  If WD get’s this thing fixed then I’ll just use it as a backup device for non-critical items.

I am very sorry to hear that yours didn’t work. Here, things still going fine. We’ll see …

The only thing I found to do to maintain a connection long enough to copy all of my data off of the drive was to keep the MPB on and not let it sleep, have a Safari window open to the web access and keep the log file up.  Between that and TM running every hour I was able to do what I needed.  Trying to do the same with a Windows PC (keep the log file actively viewed) did not have the same affect.  I was never able to wake the NAS via Windows, plus if the Mac went to sleep then the connection to the drive for all of the computers went down.

I’d love to be proven wrong, and, for everyone elses sake, have it be an issue in my environment.  But I’d be willing to bet that if you put your computer in stand by mode for about 30 minutes then the connection to the drive would be lost.

But, like I said above I truly hope it keeps working for you though!

Yeah, I did something like yours too here:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/Can-t-access-your-drive/td-p/260712

But, didn’t work as I didn’t want my computers to stay up.

See, here’s the point. I think when the NAS goes to sleep, it loses its IP and then gets stupid and doesn’t know where to get one! Kind of dumb firmware! LOL

But when you tell the thing this is your darn IP, live with it, then it wakes up it behaves!

Things are still going super here … I am so excited I can’t go to bed!

BTW, even if my iMac was up as soon as my NAS drives went to sleep, all **bleep** broke loose! But yeah like you said, tomorrow morning when I wake up my iMac, I’ll report back.

Yup.  Your suggestion to do that allowed me to copy all my data.  Thanks for that!!!  

Today was the first day since the firmware came out that I was able spend the whole day on billable time instead of trying to access the work.  I did notice that doing that trick eventually filled the NAS’s cache and I couldn’t access the web interface after a day or so.  But I’ll take 24+ hours over what I’ve been getting any day.

I have good news and no bad news! Woke up iMac and for the first time since upgrading to 1.02.10, everything seems to be in working order.

monoskier, reset your NAS using that little button in the back and give the static IP another try. Believe me, This should be it.

If anyone has downgraded to previous firmware from 1.02.10, don’t forget to search and delete ALL files called: .AppleDB and .AppleDouble on your NAS.

Do not forget that . (DOT) in front of those 2 files.

Note that they are hidden files but must be removed.

Thanks for the tip, sounds promising! Kind of new to this, could you suggest some addresses that would be safe to use?

• IP Address

• Netmask

• Default Gateway

• DNS Servers

I am curious to try this solution. But I don’t have any file named .AppleDB or .AppleDouble.

Is it possible? (ANd obviously I use a Mac…)

The ultimate test was done today and successfully! Giving both my NAS drives their own IP (Static) has resolved my networking mess.

I need to confirm one thing with WD tech and will get back here as soon as I hear back from them. Stay tuned.

butter wrote:

I am curious to try this solution. But I don’t have any file named .AppleDB or .AppleDouble.

Is it possible? (ANd obviously I use a Mac…)

Sorry for the delay responding. They are hidden files.

1. If you did not downgrde from 1.02.10 to 1.02.06, then don’t worry.

2. If you did, then be aware they are hidden so you have to enable view hidden files (not sure what OS you’re got there) and then take care of them all. Usually, the ones in the root directory of your shared folders are enough.

afors wrote:

Thanks for the tip, sounds promising! Kind of new to this, could you suggest some addresses that would be safe to use?

• IP Address
  • Netmask
  • Default Gateway
  • DNS Servers

The safest way would be to see how your router / computer has been configured and use those values other than the IP address. Netmask, Gateway and DNS server are the same for all your devices but not IP.

monoskier, I’m not going to give up on you. LOL

Try the static IP again. Upgrade to latest one and check the result.

I’m telling you this thing fixed all the mess here. :wink:

Bourne wrote:

monoskier, I’m not going to give up on you. LOL

Try the static IP again. Upgrade to latest one and check the result.

I’m telling you this thing fixed all the mess here. :wink:

No worries Bourne.  I appreciate it though. :slight_smile:

I’ve been back on 1.02.10  since late last week.  I had TM issues with Snow Leo when I tried to revert to .06 that I didn’t have before so I went back to .10  (I didn’t try deleting the .AppleDB and .AppleDouble though, so maybe that was my problem there).  I’ve even reflashed it probably a dozen times naively hoping something would change this time.

The IP has been set to a static one since I got this drive except for a small time after the firmware update when I thought having a dynamic one would resolve the issue.

I’ve powered down the entire network and everything on it.  Multiple times. I’ve even removed two of the non essential computers, leaving only the two essential ones on this network.  Lion isn’t even on this network now.

This morning I tried your suggestion again just for one last shot.  Powered everything down and restarted everything in the order of which they would get a signal.  My results have been the same as before.  As long as the MBP is awake and regularly speaking with the MBW then the connection stays alive.  Once the MBP goes to sleep then connection to the drive drops even if the PC is still in use.  The drive can only be found on the network again by pulling the plugs.  (I even tried some network management software from SolarWinds to see if the drive was connected.)

Anyways… It’s a lost cause with this firmware for me.  But no biggie.  My replacement arrived from NewEgg and I should be done uploading the last of my files on it tonight so the WD Nas isn’t really a concern for me anymore.  If it starts working again with a new firmware, great.  If not I’ll just pull the drive from it and use it elsewhere.  (I found a great local place to buy cheap enclosures starting at $5.99)

Even though it’s only been since yesterday morning, I’m much happier with the new Synology system.  Speeds are better, much more configuration options, VPN, TM works, and most importantly, no [Deleted] WD software to worry about.  (And the fact that you can still download the .10 firmware astounds me!)  I’ve wasted more than a week trying to find a fix, and since I’m self employed that lost time cost me 10x what my replacement cost.  

Aparently, WD is expected to release a new firmware some time next week if it passes their QA. So, we’ll see.

Yes, Synology was my 1st choice when shopping to replace my 3 NAS drives from D-Link! I was so close to buy 2 from them but then WD ones looked so cooler with my stuff at my new apartment! So, I chose them. LOL

I’m an IT so I am supposed to look for things other than just design :wink: but oh well.

Well, I think my issues are history but you never know.

Anyway, all the best and hope you enjoy your new NAS. They were the 1st to fully support Lion in less than a week when it was released! And, they keep relasing updates all the time with new functions.

BTW, their iPhone apps look really cool and useful. I wish WD would come up with somehting too … well, after they resolve this firmware thing.

Good to hear the Static IP fix works well for the most part.  Hopefully the new firmware replacing 1.02.10 will be able to fix what issues they had with network disconnection after say, a shutdown/sleep/PowerSave/restart action by the user.  It’s horrible having it only working for the time for a few hours and no twonky for the 360 & PS3…which I hardly use, but just nice to know that it works when I need it!

Bourne wrote:

I think I’ve found the solution to fix ALL my issues with the latest firmware.

It’s been over 18 hours and no connection problems what-so-ever! Therefore, I AM DA MAN!

Those of you who kind of downgraded to previous versions as well as those who didn’t:

Launch the GUI and simply change the DHCP to Static and give your NAS drive(s) its own IP. Although not necessary, but shutdown everything, ie; computers, printers, everything including your NAS drive and router: EVERYTHING.

Then, turn them on one at a time. I suggest turn on your NAS before your computer (just this time!).

That’s all. AND … give me Kudos. Lots of them … :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yeah, if not already, feel free to update to the latest firmware. :wink:

P.S. If this didn’t work and you gave me kudos, you can always come back and well you know … :wink:

I did all this a few times. Made no difference. I stayed up for 24 hours, at best. 

Right now, I have the WD brick shut down. No use wasting electricity to simply watch the lights go up and down…