"Attach a supported WD Drive", MyBook World Edition 2, new iMac Mojave

WD40000H2Q World Edition White Light drive was working well in RAID1 config directly connected to iMac running El Capitan. Got new iMac with Mojave, all kinds of problems having system recognize the drive and allow Write/ Delete access. Fixed with Apple, but drive not showing RAID1 now. Latest WD Security, Drive Utilities downloaded, rebooted. Keep getting the “Attach a supported WD Drive” message. Drive shows in Finder and Disk Utility, but the WD software doesn’t seem to see it. Any suggestions?

Hello MikeDG,

My Book World Edition II is a lagacy NAS drive and doesn’t support WD Security & WD Drive Utilities. It comes with WD Anywhere Backup Software tool as a backup software. You can use below link to get supported software or tools.

My Book World Edition II (White Light)
https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/247#WD_downloads

Hi, asp73!

Thank you for your short and valuable info!
It seems that WD Anywhere Backup Software cannot be installed on my Mac Mini running Catalina, as at the installation process after I’ve clicked “Continue” to dialogue window saying “This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed.”, it says “WD Anywhere Backup can’t be installed on this computer. The specified message could not be found for the index 30.”.
Am I out of luck?

P.S. This is how did I get here:
I wanted to revive my WD MyBook World (when I bought it I was not quite fully happy with it - it had very slow data transfer speeds, and with little knowledge of mine I was not able to make it any faster, and the whole setup process was rather complicated for my dumbness). I did work for some 5 years I guess, but at one point I was not able to connect it in my local network anymore, so it was left forgotten and switched off for many years due to lack of time.
Now I am having a second look into it - whether it can be brought to life. Took out the SATA HDD’s, thought that maybe for my backup need I can use them simply with “Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA converter adapter for 2.5 / 3.5 inch drives HDD SSD with 12V 2A power supply” from Amazon.de. But - when looking at how well built the case of this NAS is, I keep thinking what a pity would it be to send it to recycling…