At this rate I'll be here well into 2017

Just got a 12TB My Cloud Mirror to act as a backup drive to my mac and media PC. I’ve got it plugged into the GB ethernet port of my router and the network lights on the back of the unit are both showing green (which I understand to mean it’s getting a GB connection). I’ve tried backing using my mac on both LAN and 5GHzWIFI but the best I can manage is 3-5MB/s transfer rate :frowning:

I’m trying to use Carbon Copy Cloner and I’ve tried disk image and direct clone modes but both are as slow as each other. I’ve made sure to turn off Spotlight indexing of both the My Cloud and my USB 3 source drive. I’ve also disabled my AV software.

Am I missing something here? I’ve got around 1.4TB of data I want to backup off my mac and at this rate I’m going to be here well into 2017!

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks

James

Hi, you can try connecting the drive directly to the Mac, this tends to be the fastest way to transfer the information from a Mac to a NAS. Also, what kind of speed are you getting from your media PC? And what operating system the media PC has?

Thanks for the reply. I’ve just got around to plugging the drive directly into my mac and will try again. So far every backup I’ve tried to do via the network has failed after between 3-5 hours :frowning: Hoping that if I can get one successful backup then the incremental updates will be small enough to work via the network.

As for the media PC, that’s running Win10 but I’ve not had chance to even try that yet as I’ve been working on the mac.

James.

Hello,

1. What share on the Mirror are you sending data too?
    If it’s not going to the Time Machine or Smartware (Backup Shares), then the data will be indexed

I suggest to use one of the backup shares which are not indexed by the crawler and media scanning by Twonky is off.

2. Whatever share you choose as a backup destination, turn OpLocks OFF

Let us know how it works out.

Hi there,

I finally managed to get the Mac backed up but only by plugging the drive
directly into the computer via Ethernet. Apologies for the delay getting
back to you, I was very busy last week and then away this weekend just gone.

I tried to backup my media PC (Windows 10) via the router and wifi and the
backup failed repeatedly. Next I ran a long cat5e cable (around 5m) to the
router and tried again. This time the backup didn’t fail but after 36 hours
I’d only reached 26% complete! I’m only trying to backup around 1TB of
info. Next I tried to plug it in directly into the ethernet socket of the
computer like I did with the mac but for some reason windows backup didn’t
like writing to it?

I have to say that I’m very disappointed with the My Cloud Mirror at the
moment. I really hoped it would be a case of plugging it into my router and
off I go. If I can’t get it working properly soon it’s going back! What’s
the point of having a NAS if it’s so slow backups time out when ever your
transferring files to it?

BTW I have the drive in Raid 1 as it was shipped.

Regards

James Ball

Oh, and I forgot to say, the shares I was using are ones created by me and
I’ve turned off OpLocks on both the shares.

Best regards

James Ball
Creative Director