Asks for username & password when accessing files remotely - Windows 8

MBL set up and working fine …

Issues is when I access remotely via wd2go.com … I can map the drive with their tool … I can access the drive, look at files, copy stuff to/from the drive … but as soon as I try to access a file (ie: open a doc or xls) a dialoge pops up and asks for a usermane and password … I have tried many combos but to no avail … tried creating a different user from the dashboard and using those credentials but again no joy …

Almost seems like a security setting in Windows? I am using Win 8 …

Too bad there isn’t a Win 8 app yet to acces and the mobile wd2go app which works great on my Nexus …

Anyone know how to fix this?

OK … the more I work on this it seems to be just a problem with Office 2010 files … docs and xls files specifically … I can open, manipulate and save back to the MBL if it is a jpg, pdf, psd, etc … just Office files that are giving me the problem of asking for a username and password …

So … what setting is it in Office that has to be changed to make this problem go away …

None. Microsoft has additional security with Office 2007 and later that isn’t supported by WD 2go. No way to turn it off that I’ve seen…

1 Like

look here: http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WD2go-webDAV-and-MS-Office-2013/m-p/513536#M16552

it is a windows issue (second layer security), but there is a way! WD is just too lazy to implement it…

1 Like

Supposedly BarracudaDrive Cloud Server supports direct editing of MS Office files. I have installed it (Super easy) but have not tried the feature yet.

http://barracudadrive.com/blog/2007/12/Edit-Remote-Documents-Using-Microsoft-Word

Hit the downloads link for the EASY to install guide

1 Like

1 Simple actions  to bypass this MS Windows  problem.

2 All MS Word files can be opened and used (read,write, save) by LibreOffice, a free open source office suite.

3 Install LibreOffice on your computer . When oprning afile remotely  from MBL that is in MS office format, select to open with LibreOffice by a right click. (Right click will show  possible opeions to open file). File will open without MS security problem. You can then re-save in MS Office format (suggest doc 97/2003).

4 I discovered this as I always use both office suites MS Office ( one full paid suite, others simple with computer issue) and LibreOffice on all my Windows computers, also I use LibreOffice on my linux computers.

Thios saves any hassle with MS Office.