[ASK] USB Content Availability in Cloud Access & Full Access of USB Drive attached

Hi,
I’ve some question regarding USB Drive attached to 4TB My Cloud.
I’m sorry if these already posted.
current version: WDMyCloud v04.04.01-112 : Core F/W
Questions:

1. Why USB Drive Content attached to MyCloud is visible through remotely from mycloud.com
    I already set in Cloud Acces setting → USB Content Availability set to OFF

2. I couldn’t have Full access (like create file, folder, etc) for USB Drive attached. Only read.
    I already set my user to have Full Access in shares for USB drive.

Thanks.

Hello, to see if I can asssist I need more info:

Have you gone into he “Shares” option in the My Cloud and disabled remote access for the My Book share?

How are you accessing the drive? Have you removed all the connections from the drive? and then attempted to do it again?

Don’t think (at least I don’t see it) there is an option on the v4.x Dashboard Share page to disable Remote Access for the individual Share. What there is, is the option under Settings > General > Cloud Access to enable or disable Remote Access. There is also the USB Content Availability option in that section which appears to not work properly at blocking remote access to attached USB hard drives as the following series of screen captures indicate.

There have been other threads discussing how the external USB drives remain accessible remotely even though USB Content Availability has been disabled. One of the few ways to disable remote access to an attached USB drive is to turn off Public Access on the Share then pick and choose who has read/full access to it. Note that even when set to No Access a user can still access the remote Share but cannot open sub folders or files.

The following image shows that a Share (USB drive) that has its Public Access option set to Off, while accessible, generates an error when one attempts to open a file on that Share.

1 Like

Thanks Iluna & Bennor for your reply…

>about USB Content Availability:
I attached my 4TB WD My Book which has 2 partition. I set my user only has Full Access for Partition #01. another partition is set to No Access. after login at MyCloud.com, under menu Attached storage, only Partition #01 is shown.
Tried again to set all partition to No Access, and in mycloud.com, no partition is visible, even no menu “Attached storage” is shown.

so, like you already told, I think to make the “USB Content Availability” setting OFF working (USB attached not shown), the setting are:
-set USB Content Availability to OFF
-set Public Access to OFF,
-set Shares folder to No Access.

Problem Solved then, I just need to create another user to differentiate between access locally and remotely :slightly_smiling:

>about USB Content Full Access:
I tried to create file or folder in USB drive attached with many ways:
-through menu WD Access → Open, this will open Windows Explorer then login with Full Access user.
-remotely via mycloud.com, after login with user with full access, tried to create folder is denied.
-via FTP, also failed.
but, seems strange, this only happened in some folder. other folder I have full access (create file,folder,etc).

then I tried to create new folder while USB drive still attached to WD My Cloud (with Windows Explorer).
after that I removed/ejected USB drive and plugged to my laptop then moved all content in problematic folder to the new folder with Windows explorer.
Tried again plugged to WD My Cloud, and now is working! I’ve Full access to that Folder :slightly_smiling:

still have no clue what’s going on with those folder… :frowning:

>about USB Content Full Access
after sometime, I couldn’t delete file(s) or folder(s) in WDMyBook that attached to USB of WDMyCloud :frowning:
it said: Require permission from Unix User\nobody.
tried delete with Windows Explorer and also via FTP, but no luck.

I did search in this WD Community and found the same problems, but it seems not solved yet.
how to manage this Unix user\nobody?
and what’s wrong with authority Full Access that I set for my User that create from dashboard…