Artist Info

Mapman,

Ok, here’s what I’ve found.   Flac files can be tagged, but wav files don’t seem to work.  So here’s what you can do, if you have a bunch of wav files, you can use Audacity to convert them to flac files.   Or do what I have done, and use Winamp to re-rip the cds to flac.

You are right about the info, it seems that the HUB only looks for Windows tagging.  I’ve used other thing to add the data to music, but the only thing that seems to work is to use WMP to add the info.

thekochs, sounds like you and I want the same thing.  You are right, it will be very helpful for those with large audio and video collections.  

I haven’t done any exporting with DVD Profiler.  I currently use it as my DVD and Bluray catalogue.

I was hoping for an update to the Sony BDP-CX960, enabling DVD Profiler to control the player.

The WD Media Hub GIU is far superior compared to the Sony BDP-CX960 400 Disc Bluray Mega Changer.

For the time being, I will primarily be using the hub to take the place of a Sony CDPCX400.

If you haven’t already, you should post your request on the Invelos website.

I have downloaded the manual for Tag&Name and after reading, will likely purchase on your recommendation.

I don’t know if the hub can use ID3V2 tag.  Hopefully someone else has the answer to what exactly the hub is capable of.

By placing a jpg in the Album folder, labelled folder.jpg that image will show up as the cover art for that folder/Album.

The hub will only display a folder with a media file in it.

Off, to browse the Tag&Rename manual… :wink:

Tinwarble, that’s progress, I haven’t used Winamp for ripping but will try some flac with it.

I’m sure the re-ripping would be my first option.  One conversion from cd instead of two.

I’ll try that right now.  Back later with results.

Tinwarble, I’ve got a Winamp issue where it goes through the actions of ripping the entire CD to flac but in the end only the last track has been saved the hub.

I’m using the free version of Winamp v5.601 (x86) on Windows 7.

Good news! The one flac file that did get ripped to flac is playing flawlessly with all data being displayed in the correct places on the hub as well as cover art.  Thank you.

Now I have to figure out why it is only ripping one track…  

What version are you using?

It wasn’t a Winamp issue, it was a Winamp operator issue.

I had selected the files to be saved like this -

Corrected to -

Now all tracks are ripped to flac, display data and cover art correctly and play no problem!

I believe this solves my original problem.  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks Tinwarble for suggesting Winamp.

thekochs, I’m considering buying Tag&Rename.  I think it will do everything else I want.

In conclusion, when you want a lossless audio conversion with tags properly displayed on the hub, use Winamp to rip to flac.

No solution at this time for wav files

Ok, when you say that only the last track has been ripped to the HUB, do you mean that when you check to see your files you are checking them on the HUB, or have you checked to see if they are there by accessing the HUB from your PC.

The reason that I ask is that sometimes files don’t show up on the HUB even when they are on the internal HD.

To answer your question though, I have the same version.  If you are having an issue with Winamp though (I haven’t had any problems) then try ripping to your PC first, make your changes then copy them to the HUB.  If you don’t see any of your files on your HUB, try Clearing the Media Library and see if they appear after it recompiles.

Glad to hear that you have at least one working for you though.:smileyvery-happy:

EDIT:  You posted before mine, so you can ignore this post.  Glad to hear that you got everything worked out.  I’m still looking into the .wav issue though.  I’ll let you know if I find something.   Until then though, at least you can still have lossless audio with your metadata showing.

Also, don’t forget that you can do all your tagging from Winamp.

Out of interest I use Mp3tag to update my id3 tags plus add cover art directly to the mp3 file. The WDTV units will then show the cover art on all screens.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ (free)

After ripping from cd to flac, using Winamp the flac files played back no problem.  I then added some more tagging using Mediamonkey.  After that tagging, the flac files would not play.

Will do some more testing this evening.

What tagging are you trying to do with Mediamonkey?

You do know that you can “Auto Tag” with Winamp, you can also edit the tagging & add coverart.

I added cover art to each track.  I’ll use Winamp for future editing.

Thanks Tinwarble!

theknochs, did you get your hub yet?  I’d like to know how well the softpointer software works with the hub.

I have not gotten my hub yet…so swamped at work that nights are for work catch-up…my wife would kill me if I get this now…will hopefully soon.  I did notice that RichUK seems to say in prior post that ID3v embedded MP3 tags/pics work.
“Out of interest I use Mp3tag to update my id3 tags plus add cover art directly to the mp3 file. The WDTV units will then show the cover art on all screens.”

Thus, even if the XML exports don’t match up for the Hub sound like the embedded tags work.   However, looking at how configurable the export wizard in Tag-n-Rename is I would think it would match up.

Sounds like mp3tag software is free http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ 

and also T&R is free trial for 30 days: http://www.softpointer.com/download.htm

Do you know what “format” (syntax) the hub is looking for for XML DVD/Movie and XML MP3/Music ?

I’m really hoping I can just do a DVD Profiler and T&R XML export and put the corresponding XML in the DVD or Music directory with the .MKV or . MP3 along with the folder.jpg (coverart) and I’m good to go…I’m hoping.:smiley: 

At least you know now that once you get your hub, you’ll not want to leave it till it’s full.

Did you post anything at the DVD profiler forum?

I bet there are folks over there that would be interested in the hub and want to accomplish the same as you.

I’m gonna download the T&R software today and give it a whirl.

Once I have completed my transfer to the hub, I will go back and add xml files, as Tinwarble has described.

Hopefully T&R will produce the xml file for me in a way that the hub can utilize.

In message 11,  I mentioned that mp3 of any kind displayed correctly for me.  I prefer to convert to wav or flac to preserve quality.

I was having problems with wav files.   At this very moment, my collection is being converted to flac.

Flac files produced and tagged via Winamp has fixed my problem, to my satisfaction.  My audio doesn’t suffer quality and tags and images display properly.

Eventually, I hope to have the wav files display tags properly on the hub.

When you finally get your hub and have time to do some testing, let us know your results.