Are my hopes dashed? Music is what I want from MyCloud

Hello,

Man, pretty disappointed opening my new WD MyCloud Home. First thing I see is a 3 month trial for Plex something. This, of course, can only mean someone will ask for money after this period.

On the other hand NO WHERE do I see an app designed, by WD, to do exactly what Plex claims to do.

You know (all you WD Executives), the whole reason I picked up a personal cloud (due to its advertising), was to avoid paying, for a lossless streaming audio service. More than that, it was to avoid the time (which I don’t have) in making my own cloud. I’m a music enthusiast, and listen to a lot of very high resolution DSD/PCM music files I purchase. I can’t hear this sound quality on ANY streaming service, and I can’t often find my favorite recordings (collection is 90% Classical/Contemporary/Jazz compositions. All my audio gear (from my phone DAC and headphones, to my tube amps and pairs of speakers) is best enjoyed listening to the latest recording technology, high recording standards which are all captured as high quality and high resolution music files. I was pretty happy when I thought I found my answer to having the capability of listening, from anywhere on any device via my MyCloud Home drive.

Is there a way I can play cds, playlists, or just hours of music files, from my cloud drive, from my phone while on the go, laptop while traveling, or at fellow audiophiles audio systems? If so, what are some one time purchase apps? At this point, i’m confident JRiver can find and play the files while on my home music streamer and/or PC. However, I really need to know, if there exists, a quality player (for phone and laptop), that doesn’t have a monthly cost, that can access and play my high resolution PCM and DSD music files.

If not, I’m going to have to return the drive for a refund and resort to playing my music collection from those cool and VERY small 256 GB thumb drives…from which I can play any file on the JRiver android phone app. Lol, my high resolution collection alone is over 300 GB. Some cds are over 3 gigs…ouch! :>/`

Can anyone please help out a music fan? I don’t need video/file backup/file sharing apps. Just music playback. Thank you for any suggestions.

One more thing, which may be causing some problems is that I can not access my drive from the MyCloud Android app, but I can via a website. It’s a Google Pixel 3XL phone, and my PCs are Win. 10.

cheers,
vvcv

Post it in the My Cloud Home forum then … not this one, cus it’s for the older My Cloud which works great :slight_smile:

To access the My Cloud Home from a mobile device one would need to install the My Cloud Home app for iOS or Android (https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/1369#WD_downloads).

Note that Plex is a separate third party program that has a free option and a paid option. The paid option naturally has more features/options. One of the features with the paid version (Plex Pass) is the ability to stream music beyond one minute in length on mobile devices using the Plex mobile app.

Plex: Free vs Paid
https://support.plex.tv/articles/202526943-plex-free-vs-paid/

The My Cloud Home is what it is, a simple limited device that has remote access capabilities to function as a simple “cloud” device. It has limited features and options. It is NOT a network attached storage device which often have more features/options.

Plex has an option to enable it’s built in DLNA media server. That would allow any device with a DLNA client to access and stream media from the same local network as the My Cloud. One option for remote DLNA streaming is to setup a VPN connection to one’s local network to access the My Cloud Home.