Applying UEFI hotfix to Sentinel 4000

I need to install hotfix 2781274 to Windows 2008 storage server essentials R2 in order to back up any of my clients from Windows 10. I can not figure out how to do this. I would appreciate any help on this process. Thank you

Hello there,

You can install this hotfix by accessing the device via RDP, once you download it you can install it directly to the OS on the device.

Hope this helps.

That does help and thank you. The issue I have is that the hotfix comes with no installer. The notes on the web about using .msu files. Confuses the heck out of me it needs command prompts and the like. Since this isn’t a full version of windows I have no Idea how to get command prompts on the sever to run the several commands that need to be run to unpack and install. Any assistance would be most appreciated, Thank you for your help.

Couple things. It is a full version of windows server, the hardware simply does not have a video port. The hotfix is not for Win 10 systems, it is for any system that has an EFI partition. OTH it is new’ish, so many WIN 10 boxes have it. Plus there are no cmd prompts or unpacking involved.

on a client pc, press the windows key and type mstsc and press enter
enter your servername and click connect
username is Administrator Not sure what your password is

At the server desktop open windows explorer and browse to wherever the download is and dbl click it. Next next etc.

Thank you both for your help. I have not used my systems admin skills in over four years, It took me a while to get to the C: drive on the server. Once in I shared a folder and copied the hotfix. I think its in the process of installing.

Once again thank you both.

May have been simpler to put it on a thumb drive {wink}

Of course it would have, you are so right. However even as a Systems Admin I went back to my geometry roots. Two points determine a line and prove everything from there. I am a little gratified that I was able to get there. By the way when Windows 2008 Server Essentials was new on the Sentinel box there was an add in offered by a German gentleman. The add in made the WD box look like a full server. I can not find it anywhere the link seems to have been removed from the list. Would you know the name of it? and if I can still buy it?

Again thank you for your help.

Well the second easiest would have been to copy the file from a PC to one of the predefined shares on the server. Then you would not have to create a share etc. But you experienced more your way.

AWIECO comes to mind as the only add-in like that
http://awieco.de/en/Products/RemoteLauncher

It is slick, but with RDP, I never used it. Though I had a buddy who go excited as you can launch programs on the server with it. He had TIVO on the server in some shape or fashion and this helped him

Gramps,

I owe you big time. That was the product and my server is backing up as it was meant to. My sincere thanks and a tip of my hat. You know your stuff. The Awieco product was the one I had been looking for. It makes dealing with the Server Essentials 2008 r2 a piece of cake. Even though its offered free as a home user, I loved it so much I bought it…

Once again many many thanks.

No worries, glad all is well. I would not do this if I did not like it :slight_smile:

Hi Gramps/All
I have a Lenovo 10 (tablet pc with win 10) it has a UEFI partition. After installing the hotfix I am still getting failed backups. (Backup starts and never gets beyond 1%)

Where do I start?

after you install the hotfix there more than likely is a windows update on the client PC that needs to be installed. If that is not it then run chkdsk /f/r on the client

Hi

I have done this but no change.
Is there any way to check that the updates are installed

You have rebooted the client PC? uninstall the connector, reinstall it, then check windows updates again

I did that the first time should I try again ?

did you do chkdsh?
In the event log on the client PC there is an essentials server backup section. The error in there usually is helpful.

Event log error ::

Backup job 35 on WDSENTINEL-01 did not succeed. Reason: ClientVssProblem, System.String

have you done chkdsk /f/r

yes but I will do it again

Aargh just sits at 1% then fails