Appledouble files getting splattered everywhere

I have a network with both Mac and PC computers.  The problem is that whenever a Mac looks at a directory using the appletalk protocol, it splatters .appledouble files everywhere.  This is annoying because the PC side now sees twice as many files as before and it messes up my directory syncs.

I think I have narrowed down the problem to this entry in the log files:

Jan  2 18:41:58 localhost afpd[25856]: volume “Public” does not support Extended Attributes, using ea:ad instead
Jan  2 18:41:58 localhost afpd[25856]: volume “notmyrealname” does not support Extended Attributes, using ea:ad instead

The reason has to do with this line from the mount command:

/dev/sda4 on /DataVolume type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodelalloc)

My understanding is that for ext4 to support extended attributes, you have to mount it with the option user_attr.

Why is this not done on this system?

I think to modify this system would involve adding this mount option somewhere inside the mountdatavolume.sh script.  I have not done this because I don’t know what will happen.  Any linux or appletalk experts here have any advice?

Myron my friend, here’s your call…

I, personally, would try that soluton BUT there is no console so should the alteration be attempted and on start-up the mount fails there is no way to de-brick the drive?  It’s not worth the risk attempting the alteration.

If it can be done so upon boot the MBL starts unmodified then, yes.

All the alterations I’ve made to my own MBL don’t affect the boot-up sequence.  For example, I’ve disabled AFP but on boot AFP will start.  I have to disable it manually.

Is there anything you can do on the MAC to stop it creating these .appledouble files?

Did some more digging around with a Unix knowledgeable friend.  Here’s what we found out:

Mount EXT4 file system with extended attributes: No effect.

Kernel does support it.

Modified Applevolumes.default to use extended attributes: No effect

Only thing I cannot verify is if netatalk actually supports ext attr on ext4.

Best solution right now might be to use the veto option in smb.conf to hide the files from my windows machines.  Dirty hack…