Appalling software - Even worse support from WD

What an absolutely appaling piece of software this is - the main exe hogs CPU and still runs even after exiting the program via the GUI &/or system tray.  Support tickets are unanswered even after 48hrs, and it still defies us as to how to log in to view the tickets via the WD site instead of via the e-mailed link from the auto responder.  This was our first use of Western Digital drives and on current showing will most certainly be our last.

That said, I believe in giving a chance, so if someone can let us have a fix for ticket 091219-002658 - or at the very least a reply - in the next couple of hours I will quiet happily update this thread with, hopefully, a more positive experience.  Over to you, WD… 

Since you did not specify the model you have I will suggest you to upgrade the WD Smartware software using the updater over the support page

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en

This update will correct most of the problems from the first version.  Also, if you don’t want to use the application you are welcome to disable it using the steps below:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3835&p_created=1256946237&p_sid=Ue4rd*Pj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTk4LDE5OCZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cmVtb3ZlIHNtYXJ0d2FyZQ!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

1 Like

WD insider should get a job with WD customer support his attitude is exactly the same.  They are not ashamed their software is dysfunctional. ( I wonder how much Seagate paid the wd software programmers to screw up the software?)   At least he did not deny that the program is a cpu hog.  His claim that the update fixes the problem is not true.  I reinstalled the wd software and cpu usage went from 50% to 80% down to 25% to 75%.  Also when I reinstalled the software all the data that had supposedly been backed up was lost.  Just no longer appeared on the home page of their software.  See the discussion under “this software  has serious problems.”

Wd_Insider - I can only assume that you have not read or referred to the support ticket, as in that we documented the steps taken to attempt a fix, including updating the firmware & sotware. 

Your reply “Also, if you don’t want to use the application you are welcome to disable it using the steps below…” is of concern to us, as this product was bought on the strength of the sofware features, as on the packaging it clearly states “automatic, continous backup”.  The bundled software does not perform this function, and the advertised 2 year warranty is non existent, as WD support service will not respond to our ticket (we still have heard nothing on the ticket overnight).

Under UK legislation the goods sold are not of merchantable quality, and unless we get a response from yourselves with all despatch,we will be looking for full redress under the Trade Description Act of 1968.

Just go to the settings tab and turn off backups until the system is idle, or pause the Smartware backup entirely until you are no longer in use of your system like when you are taking a cat-nap. i-) zzzz.

Otherwise, pay attention to numbers and wonder if that % of CPU use is actually affecting your system, and if so, is it worth having my data backed up on the fly? I refuse to rely on backup software alone, and do a manual copy and paste to drives that contain each of the specific categories backed-up by Smartware, while only running the backups when Im not doing labor intensive work on my system. I have a P4 with modest DDR RAM, and I don’t think the Smartware is anymore hindering than an antivirus monitoring not only your system, but also your network; which I also dont rely on when working on my system. So the real question you have to ask yourself is whether or not I am in need of convenience(automation), or performance(unautomated).

WD_Guru, you are ignoring what numerous others are reporting about the software.

My advice to others is to just use the drive as a nice USB-powered drive and don’t install the software that comes with it.

When you first get the drive, you will need to install the sofware to turn off the VCD. It will probably require you to update the software once, and also install the firmware updater. Do it before you put anything on the drive. Turn off the VCD (instructions here  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdsmartwareutilities) and the reformat the drive just to be sure. 

Uninstall Smartware.

And then enjoy the drive as a small  USB-powered drive. 

If by your response you are offering an alternative workaround/solution to utilizing the software then you are correct. If by my response prior to that, was I offering a possible solution/workaround to running the software, then it appears that is true too. Should the gentleman keep the software on his system then those settings will assist him in altering the functionality of the software. I did not delve into what people have stated about the software as I am not concerned about thumbs up or thumbs down on a product, but rather giving sound workarounds and/or possible solutions. Cheers:womanwink:

I installed the lastest firmware and software but I still saw very high CPU utilization so I removed the software and deactived the VCD until WD can address the issue so I have a 1.5TB usb drive.   I was not paying attention intially and wondered why a simple back up took forever.

Oh well.