[APP] Syncthing various versions for firmware V4+ (01/2017)

Thank you very much @Nazar78 for your answer. I’ve managed to install Syncthing on MyCloud thanks to your compiled version and I am testing it to see if it manages to sync well.

How can this be uninstalled completely if it doesn’t prove to be good for my needs?

As a side note: did you ever made a SubVersion install on MyCloud?

No problem, if you wish to uninstall it, it’s as per normal you would do on Debian:

dpkg --purge syncthing syncthing-cli syncthing-inotify;

then remove the configs rm -rf /root/.config/syncthing;

Sorry I have not built any SVN.

Hi @Nazar78, have you tried to build a new version of Syncthing? There is a version 0.13 out which isn’t compatible with 0.12 by the protocol.

I’ll try to work on it over the weekends.

For those who’s following this post, a new version has been added to the first post. As promised to my donors, they will be the first to receive newer builds. I’ll make it public soon so stay tuned (-:

[20160530] Added Syncthing v0.13.4-7 and Syncthing-Inotify v0.8-7, removed Syncthing-CLI (obsolete).

I just tried installing Syncthing 0.13.5 and all goes well until I enter an Authorisation User and Password. Syncthing never seems to complete the action and the warning message doesn’t go away. If I restart Syncthing or reboot the WD Mycloud then Syncthing restarts fine but the User and password I entered have disappeared.

I had/have the same problem…

Do you guys mean the user and pass to lock down Syncthing? Does it work on the PC version?

Yes it’s the lockdown user and password. No problems on Pc or Freebsd (Nas4free) versions.

Ok, I never really test the user/pass login part. When I got the time, I’ll try to see what’s causing the issue.

Here are some more details in regard to the problem with the new version of the program.

I did manage to get the new version of the program set up (with name and password) by initially setting up an earlier version along with name and password then installing the new version of the program over the old version.

It appears that when the settings are changed in the NEW version of the program, it is NOT successfully updating the ~/.config/syncthing/config.xml file

This was very noticable for us new installers because we were given dire warnings to set a user name and password and when we tired to do that it didn’t work.

I went back and installed the earlier version (0.12.4-10) and successfully set a name and password.

Then, just for laughs, I installed the new version (0.13.4-7). It worked and I still had the name and password and they worked. But I couldn’t change any settings (including name and password). But at this point I DO have a name and password.

So it isn’t actually a problem of user name and password, but rather a problem of updating ALL settings.

I actually CAN change any of the settings by MANUALLY editting the config.xml file, EXCEPT for the password which is hashed (or encrypted, or something…).

So, bottom line for the new version:

1. For a new install, you cannot setup a name and password.
  2. Settings cannot be changed, unless you edit the config file manually…

Short version:
*) The new version of the program doesn’t update the config file.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! The logging has been set to /var/log/daemon.log. Is there any error you can find in the log (except the unable to connect warnings by inotify)? Or any exception logs in the config path when you tried to change the settings via the GUI? Were you able to add/remove clients? I’m not sure if this is the result of GOLANG version 1.4.2.

Just a couple quick comments before I go to work…

Apparently the new version of the program CAN update the config.xml file in some cases. For instance I can add and edit devices and folders and in these cases the changes WILL update the config.XML file.

It looks like it’s just the ‘Settings’. When I click ‘Save’ the changes are not saved.

I didn’t see any errors in that log other than the warnings about inotify, but I’ll take a better look when I get home from work.

Update…

I’ve had a chance to look at it a little more and have come up with some interesting information.

First, there were no error messages in the logs other than the inotify and some related to the fact that my other device was not accessible (it was turned off).

What I’ve discovered is that the program WILL update the config.xml file when I make changes in the ‘Settings’ (and it displays a message that the program needs to restart and it quickly restarts after I press the button) UNLESS I make a change to the User and/or the password in which case there are no changes made and there is no message that the program needs to restart.

Also, if I try to change user/password and then try to ‘restart’ from the Actions menu, it displays the message ‘Syncthing is restarting. Please wait…’, but it never gets beyond that. I have to go to ssh and do ‘service syncthing restart’ to be able to access it again (and the changes haven’t been made).

So it looks like it is somehow getting hung up in the processing of the new user/password…

For me, the bottom line is that it is working for me except for being able to change the user and or password from within the program. I can change the user by directly editting the config.xml file. And I might also be able to similarly change the hashed password if I were smart enough or were motivated enough to figure out how. In order to get the user/password in the first place, it was necessary to first install the earlier version of the program.

UPDATES: Syncthing v0.13.4-7 for firmware V4 now released to public! More info from the top post. Enjoy (-:

Good findings, it would be a workaround for this time. I noticed there’s a newer build 0.13.5, I’ll try to get it up soon (see if I can get GO 1.5 to compile).

For those who’s following this post, a new version has been added to the first post. As promised to my donors, they will be the first to receive newer builds. I’ll make it public soon so stay tuned (-:

[20160609] Added Syncthing v0.13.5-11.

This updated version seems to fix the reported issues on MyCloud where certain settings such as user/pass can’t be saved in the confix.xml via GUI.

1 Like

Thanks.

I installed the new 0.13.5 version over the previous 0.13.4 version and I can verify that the user/password problem is gone. (Just for the record, I didn’t actually go back and install it again as a new user so I can’t absolutely confirm that there is no problem in that situation, but I think it’s reasonable to assume that the user/password problem in that situation is also resolved unless somebody says otherwise.)

Thanks again for the quick fix. :smiley:

NP. I did actually tried both upgrade and clean install this time and
tested the user/pass. Also tested the GUI restart, note however that it
sometimes take awhile for the UI to be available upon restart.

Noted from Ñážàŕ’s Note3…_\m/

My initial update to 0.13.5 didn’t allow the password and user. I had to do the dpkg --purge bit then resinstall before the user and password were accepted.