[APP] MiniDLNA original/patched for firmware V4+ (08/2017)

Great, in case you use the probe checks, the daemon/service name depends on which version you’re using, minidlna for older version, minidlnad for newer ones. I can’t remember so check it out:

Binary:

which minidlna

which minidlnad

Service:

service minidlna status

service minidlnad status

Hi,

there is a firmware update available.

My current firmware: WDMyCloud v04.01.02-417 : Core F/W 

New firmware: WDMyCloud v04.01.04-422 ( Release Notes)

Is it safe to install new firmware or will it destroy my MiniDLNA configuration?

Thanks

Chatfix wrote:

Hi,

there is a firmware update available.

My current firmware: WDMyCloud v04.01.02-417 : Core F/W 

New firmware: WDMyCloud v04.01.04-422 ( Release Notes)

Is it safe to install new firmware or will it destroy my MiniDLNA configuration?

Thanks

Upgrading firmware will destroy any mods. But this is simple. I’ve updated the 1st post on how to upgrade properly.

1 Like

Nazar78 wrote:

Upgrading firmware will destroy any mods. But this is simple. I’ve updated the 1st post on how to upgrade properly.

Thank you very much!

Anyone knows how to stop MiniDLNA from changing the names of the files? E.g. I have House of Cards downloaded 3 seasons in 3 folders where files are named:

“House.of.Cards.2013.S01E01.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE”

“House.of.Cards.2013.S01E02.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE”

etc…

But when I am viewing it on my TV all I see is:

“Chapter 27”

“Chapter 28”

etc…

It doesn’t care about folders “Season 1”, “Season 2”, “Season 3”… it takes whole House of cards folder and renamed all files as “Chapter 1,2…”

And with different Show named “Last man on earth” Instead of using full names:

“The.Last.Man.On.Earth.S01E01.720p.HDTV.x264-KILLERS”

It uses episode names:

“Alive in Tucson”

which is neat but then again its sorted alphabetically and its hard to tell which Episode is first and which is second…

Are you sure it is minidlna that is renaming the files?  I have minidlna installed on My Cloud.

But I’ve only put a couple of files on the device.  The names were not changed.  I have been

using minidlna on another streaming device and have never had it rename any files. It’s the

same version that is running on the My Cloud.

RAC

Think it’s the meta tags from the media files. I also see this on Twonky. Remove the meta tags propertise from PC and rebuild your database.

1 Like

Anyone knows how to stop MiniDLNA from changing the names of the files?

It is very likely that your TV is not showing you filenames at all, but is presenting one of a number of metadata views. Metadata is descriptive text held within the file, and there are usually multiple metadata fields, or tags, in a media file. I doubt very much if it is actually changing names of the files on your NAS (easily checked with a file browser).

The answer is to choose a different metadata search view on your TV (assuming you have setup MiniDLNA to offer a number of metadata views). ‘By Folder’ is a commonly-used metadata view in DLNA servers; this usually shows you the actual filenames, rather than any embedded metadata tags.

The alternative is to use a metadata editor to create sensible metadata tags in your files, that allow your chosen metadata view to present files in the order you wish.  ‘Title’ might be the obvious metadata tag to change.

Metadata is the bane of the digital media collector’s life…

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=video+file+metadata+tags

1 Like

is there any way to patch it with this  https://launchpad.net/~chrisfu/+archive/ubuntu/minidlna ? its really eating me up how it ignores the file names (mainly TV Shows e.g. E01S02 blah blah blah… it shows just the “blah blah blah” and sorts it alphabetically which doesnt really work for TV shows :confused: )

That is an old patch. No sure if it would work.

Nazar78 wrote:

you dont have problems with it? its really driving me nuts… I dont even have .nfo files in the folders so I am not really sure how to get rid of it…

mefistos wrote:

Nazar78 wrote:

you dont have problems with it? its really driving me nuts… I dont even have .nfo files in the folders so I am not really sure how to get rid of it…

No I don’t have any problems. Did you read the replies to your question few days back? It’s the meta tags, remove them using your PC using meta tag software or i.e. manually on Win8;

• locate the video paths on your samba network shares, view them as “Details”, R-click on the top column->more->check tags->ok.

• Click on the “Tags” column to sort by tags. Select all for those with tags contents.

• R-click on the video->properties->details->Remove Properties and Personal Info->choose Remove the following properties from this file->check all->ok.

After that rebuild your database.

lol it glitched on me when I posted the question first time and I thought it didnt send… Thanks I will try it :slight_smile:

Hey ppl

i tried the script, but it bricks my device (mycloud 3TB). Ive got the codes, the script downloads all the stuff, started the install and then stopped with an error. i dont know the exact error, because i unbricked with another guide. but i want to use the minidlna server.

after the script was in trouble, my cloud was the same. every command over ssh gets the same error. i really cant say, what is was, but i cant use the shell anymore, because whatever i typed in, got the same error. something with arm bla…

but i read, that so many ppl having no probs with it, so i search for my fault.

i have the 3Tb version with newest firmware. (4.01.04.422)

what do you think was my fault?

Installing this should not affect any other packages especially ssh because nothing has been replaced. What error did you see? Was your nas modified prior installing this?

Is there a way to download the .deb files and save them for later installation.  It would make it easier to reinstall

after a firmware upgrade.

RAC

These are not officially debian packages and I don’t distribute them.

Isn’t the fact that they get installed  Distribution?

RAC

Yes installed but not deb distribution. 

Then I guess the question is.  Will your web site be around everytime WD installs a new firmware?

RAC