[APP] BubbleUPnP Server v0.9 for firmware V4+ (11/2015)

Fair point that, but yeah be nice to see a fix for the ffmpeg I will have a look into it.

FFmpeg 2.8.2 was already included. Below screenshot is from my dev env 04.04.02-105:

Here’s what I see:

I’ve checked that ffmpeg is installed, and it is, and it’s where Bubble Server ought to find it (well, it’s in the PATH, as above).

My only suspicion is that, for some reason, Bubble isn’t looking at the PATH, but only at the install directory. I need to check to see if ffmpeg is there, too.

I knew there was another reason why i didn’t want to upgrade the firmware (but got fooled into doing it when installing the WD Mobile App…).

Is there any chance of making a standalone, downloadable installer?

Or installing it somewhere out of the reach of the firmware upgrader?

Not at the moment, may be that’s future plan when I stop supporting these apps.

Anything modifications or custom apps/dependencies will revert or stop running upon firmware changes. Thus changing the install location does not help.

1 Like

Hi Nazar. I also have no support for Audio transcoding. Can you please guide me through the installation? i went through the documentation but i couldn´t understand how to do it.
How do i check the path? should i use SSH ?

Best Regards,

The installation is just by using the installer, there’s nothing else to configure. I’m not sure why yours couldn’t find the ffmpeg for the transcoding, perhaps there’s some changes in the newer v4 firmware (I’m still using very old v4 firmware).

When I have the spare time, I’ll try to build the system from scratch.

I reported my finding on ffmpeg up the thread (April), including the location of the ffmpeg tools on the v4 I was using at the time (probably 04.01.04-422; well, the last version to use a black UI, so before OS3). My installation couldn’t find ffmpeg, either. Never managed to figure out why.

I’ll try to remember to have a look at where it is on the latest firmware, and then get around to re-installing Bubble server. And sort out my custom DLNA views, also trashed by the ‘accidental’ firmware upgrade (sigh).

Hi guys, since this app is not fully working (ffmpeg not working here either), how can i get rid of this for good? I’ve installed it through Nazar78’s script (thanks a lot!) and i’m not an experienced user :smiley:

I’d rather wait for it to be working fine before reinstall it again. It seems it’s now stealing resources from wdmycloud all the time.

thanks in advance.

Try dpkg -P --force-all bubbleupnpserver.

Thanks Nazar78! Again!
Seems it worked though I’ve got a message saying the directory wasn’t empty. I used rm -rf to remove it.
Now I’m rebooting the device and I hope everything is fine!

:smiley:

Well, that’s been a painful four hours or so.

Thought I’d re-install the server after my accidental firmware upgrade.

First of all, there were some ‘unpleasant’, explicit adverts that appeared from the advert server on Nazar’s page. Okay, I’m a big boy, and I can cope with that, but I wasn’t expecting to see that sort of thing. I chose not to click the ‘report advert’ because I’m not responding to anything on a page like that; I’m hitting the ‘x’ button pronto.

The server installed okay, and all seemed to be settling down. Then bits of the system started failing to respond. Apps on the PC stopped responding. I noticed a couple of spoof ‘Firefox has a problem: ring this number’ pop-up windows. I shut them down, and ran a virus scan: nothing.

I SSH’d in and did a ps. Java taking ~10% CPU.

Twonky UI vanished. The Bubble Server page lost it, and then also failed to respond.

I couldn’t access the file server or the Twonky server.

Time for a 4-second reset. No joy.

So, I did a 40-second reset. And had to reconfigure the device again. It came up okay, and things started to look okay again. But, no, away they went.

So I decided to do a firmware upgrade to get rid of the Bubble server installation. That took a while.

Fortunately, my Twonky protection measures worked, and the Twonky server is now rebuilding its database from where it should.

All cloud access devices have now been re-connected to the NAS.

Not happy with the explicit advert, or the spoof pop-ups. For a while, I really thought I’d got infected, but I now think the apps weren’t responding because they couldn’t see the NAS.

Sadly, I don’t think I’ll be repeating this exercise, because the Bubble Server worked nicely for a while, when I first installed it.

Unfortunately I’ve absolutely no control over the adfly ads and had personally reported those malicious/explicit ones repeatedly.

As for the app itself, I just tested installing on the latest clean firmware 04.04.05-101. Seems to be ok running for hours. Not sure if your Twonky protection measures have any impact on it. This app is just pure Java runtime and should not interfere with anything else on the system. In fact the upgrade to version 0.9-update23 also works perfectly (except for the HTTPS error which even exists on a PC version).

I realise that, other than not using adfly, it’s out of your control.

My ‘measures’ simply stop Twonky after a reboot, copy the /etc/contentdir and twonkyserver.ini files back from DataVolume, and then restart Twonky. And those files are copies of the twonky-generated files. So Twonky is the stock install, just with its configuration reverted to overcome the mangling MyCloud does to it if you touch the MyCloud configuration, as I had to after the system restore.

So I’m still unsure why my system went haywire, but it was certainly a consequence of installing the bubble server. Install went smoothly, and everything seemed to be working, and then it just started to fail in bits…

System now back up and running, less bubble server.

Yup, I can’t find other alternatives that has similar payouts but I’ve given out hundreds of permanent donation credentials to bypass those captcha/adverts/limits.

Mine is still running fine since the installation of BubbleUPnP server last 12hrs together with the rest of the mods (nginx/php7/mysql5 etc.). I couldn’t replicate your case, strange that yours went haywire because I believe there’s no significant system changes in the recent OS3 firmwares other than security patches. The only thing I could think of is there’s a sudden memory surge followed by swap thrashing that caused your system to stall. You could disable or stop the service temporarily to troubleshoot the system cpu/memory usage using top/vmstat.

I know you’ve given up but incase you decided to try again, to save time, simply restore the firmware if anything got messed up because the 4/40secs reset wont do any good if the rootfs has changed. Sorry if I can’t be any help further without hands-on to the system, good luck.

1 Like

HI

I try to install inside chroot.But i have an error:
sh: 41: Syntax error: redirection unexpected

Can you help me?

These installers does not work in chroot.

How install Audio Transcoding and Video Transcoding?

Read the thread. There is discussion above about people having trouble with later v4.x firmware getting FFMPEG to be recognized by the BubbleUPnP app. Not sure anyone found an actual fix for the issue.

What an unpleasant experience its been to try to try to get credentials to try to install this.

I refuse to believe that security measures I have in place to protect against malicious links is that much different than the majority of people.

I would rather it be stated explicitly that this is meant as a donate-to-aquire piece of software rather than the endless loop the free credential process seems to be stuck in otherwise - because the process does not allow entry of the captcha - not at all how it shows on the video tutorial.

-MW