Anyone using Live Hub in the car?

Long car trip coming up, wondering if anyone is using their Live Hub in their car? I have two main questions:

a) what are you using to power it?  I’ve had good results with iGo products in the past for other projects. Don’t want to fry my Live Hub because I cheaped out on a power adapter. And certainly don’t want the tears of a four-year old.

b) We have a midrange Sony in-car DVD player, which has composite in. Picture quality is only OK, though (it is composite, after all). Are there better (affordable) display options out there? (headrest-mountable, not looking to ‘pimp my ride’).

Thanks in advance,

– Paul

I haven’t used my HUB, but I have used my Live+ in my truck.   I used an inexpensive power inverter to provide power, and used composite to a portable LCD TV, and put the sound into the truck’s audio system through the iPod gateway.  Worked great.

I would be very careful of a couple things.

I had an exernal drive plugged into a power adapter in the vehicle so I could listen to my music via usb port on my Sony player.  Everything worked fine until I stopped and got gas.  Turned off the vehicle but kept the key on so it still had power.  When I was done, I turned on the vehicle and that brief power outage and back on sent a surge and wiped out 250 GB of music.

Make sure the wiring in the vehicle can handle it.  If you pull to much current through the small gauge wire you have a chance of starting a vehicle fire.

Best bet…  Just use a few large capacty thumb drives for your media.  Makes it a little easier to text while your driving and watching your favorite movie:smiley:

ByteMe wrote:

Make sure the wiring in the vehicle can handle it.  If you pull to much current through the small gauge wire you have a chance of starting a vehicle fire. 

• *Doesn’t your vehicle have fuses in it? The WD hub takes about 1 to 2 amps, hardly a big deal in terms of power. 

I use my WDTV Live in my truck all the time.  It does work great!!  No more DVDs ling around the truck for the kids to scratch and melt in the hot sun.  I use a inexpensive power inverter to power it and a 2.5" external HDD for my media.  I run it through the factory dvd system with the composite cables supplied with the Live.

I am going to be adding it to the truck permanently this spring, as soon as I find the time to do it :smiley: