Any way to select specific folders / files using SmartWare?

I’m a big fan of the old “WD Backup” software and was looking forward to a more refined version with SmartWare.  After a couple+ hours reading and playing with SmartWare I finally decided to continue to use the old “WD Backup” for a more hands on approach and being able to select just the files I need.

I still let SmartWare do its own backup but I have no idea what files/directories are being backed up.  I also noticed a couple of files that have changed and are now flagged as “Object reference not set t an instance of an object”. These have been sitting there for 12+ hours by now.

Is there any way to specify what files I want to backup as opposed to everything SmartWare thinks should be? 

I’m sure hoping for a release of the the old software with the continuous backup feature … hoping very soon.

Thanks,

Guillermo

I share the same opinion. Being able to select specific folders (eg in an “Advanced mode”) would be a very nice to have feature.

Is there a place where we can post requests for next WD Smartware versions ?

Regards,

Koen

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Smartware/How-to-edit-the-backup-rules-in-SmartWare/td-p/3845

I agree!!

It would be very useful to be able to select what directories you want to backup.  Selecting different directories on different drives would be great!

Btw, I email customer support about this, and here is their reply:

_**Dear Jim,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately this backup software does not have the feature to select specific directories, only categories.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
George A.
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com**_

Previous email

_ _

_**Your suggestion have been forwarded to the development team in charge of your product. You may wish to join, and add to our Community Forums at http://community.wdc.com. Our development team reviews the forums on a regular basis, to see the most commonly requested features by our customers.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.**_

_ _

After a few tries and returns I opted for a WD My Book Home Edition 1.5TB (USB, Firewire, eSATA). Very pleased with the drive and pleasantly surprised with the “WD Anywhere Backup”.  It is a Memeo product and let’s you select exactly which drives or files to backup.  So far it has been working fine. The only problem I’m having now is being able to download this software and making it work with my older WD drives. 

The “WD Anywhere Backup” version is 4.00.5484. For now I’m giving this one a 5 out of 5 stars on my review.

Guillermo

I’m still going through various comments about this smartware BEFORE I buy an external WD drive.

I want complete control over exactly how and exactly what I want backed up.

Categorical backups do NOT seem very logical or smart.

Why is this software not capable of backing up what I want by location?

Thank you.