Any solution to make a WDTV work in 2021?

I have a WDTV Live and it was a great device but now is kind of dead. Network share doesn’t work with Windows 10, https://100001.onl/ the Netflix app is old, when I try to update the firmware it doesn’t even find the server. Is there any custom firmware that works nowadays? I looked and it seems that the community that makes customization on WDTVs is no long active. Someone here managed to make some use of this device in 2020?

WDTV Media Players use SMB1 … which is disabled on Windows 10, but you can re-enable if you want to. The WDTV Network sharing should then work after you do that.

There are no more new updates and the servers are dead.
If you are running really old firmware, you will have to manually download the firmware and update it via USB

Yep, an old discontinued device is not really interesting proposition for hackers in 2021.

It’s makes a good dust collector or paper weight :wink:

Yes, i agree … it was a great device, but there are so many better, more powerful devices to choose from in 2021 and they support a lot more features.

I’m using a Raspberry Pi 4 with Kodi and it’s awesome !

4K, HEVC (H.265) 10Bit Color Depth, Gigabit Ethernet, USB3.0 are some supported features i really like, which the WDTV never had, and could never do.

If you want a plug and play easy to setup solution, consider a Quality Android TV Box. eg Amazon Fire TV , Nvidia Shield TV etc.

I’m a long time fan of the WD Live but I’m reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I’m going to have to update. One of the recommended alternatives that seems to come up a lot is the OSMC Vero 4K. The reviews all say “will play anything” BUT… it seems to only function as a streaming device, either from the internet or your computer. Unlike the WD Live there’s no facility to plug in a usb drive.

Anyone found a good alternative that will play from a usb drive AND let me access the drive as a network drive so that I can dump new material on it without having to manually plug it into my laptop? It must be able to play .ISO files - most of my material is copies of my DVDs stored as iso files.

ETD: A different review of the Vero4K says that it has two USB 2.0 ports. So that seems to mean my only remaining question is whether it plays ISO files. Anyone know?

my Raspberry Pi 4 can do that :slight_smile: … my old Raspberry Pi 3 can as well, has done for years

Both my Raspberry Pi’s (running Kodi) support ISO files

and both have 4x USB Ports

(Pi3 = 4x USB 2.0 … Pi4 = 2x USB 2.0 and 2x USB 3.0)

You mention Rasberry Pi instead of Vero4K but I gather what you’re saying is that since they both run Kodi they should be equivalent in what they will play. The reviews seem to pair them together generally. Thanks for the feedback and the prompt reply!
(PS In case you’re wondering, I’m concentrating on the Vero4K because the reviews tend to say that it’s easier to use; a common quote is “straight out of the box”. Plus it comes with a remote. I agree that it’s downside is the extra cost.)

But, they are different hardware … so, support will vary

Vero (using Amlogic SOC) sound a bit closed source

where as, Raspberry PI (Broadcom) are pretty open and have heaps of support and actively update. I use LibreELEC (Kodi) on my Pi’s … https://libreelec.tv/

Well, anything running Kodi Software is “Easy” to use, regardless of the Hardware

I didn’t have to buy a a remote for my Raspberry Pi 3/4 to use Kodi … i use my TV Remote … that’s the beauty of CEC HDMI Built into Kodi :slight_smile:

Another benefit of Raspberry Pi … you don’t have to buy overseas and deal with exchange rates and exorbitant shipping costs

You can buy a Raspberry Pi from Jaycar AU, Element 14 AU or U-Mart AU for a lot less than buying a Vero from overseas.

Anyways, an “Out of the Box” more expensive solution Vs “A Little Setup” solution where you learn something, and is very flexible and you save money … the latter will always be my choice.

Sorry, to sound like a Pi fanboy … but i’ve been using them for years, for lots of different things (Media Players, Arcade Machines, Open NAS Devices etc etc) . That’s why i love them :slight_smile:

Greetings from Qld, Brisbane … the “Lockdown” city currently :wink:

Thanks again; you’ve been incredibly helpful and I can see the attraction to the Raspberry Pi. I’ll certainly think carefully about it.

Greetings from Perth - the anti-social, isolationist (and so far safe) city. Best wishes for a successful outcome for your lockdown.