Another case of network connectivity loss after FW upgrade

After staying on fw 3.x for the last two years without any issues, i finally caved in and I upgrade my 3TB two days ago as Fw4.x gives atleast 25-30% faster data speeds and i can confrm that part.

But today in the morning i noticed that i could not access my data on the drive. I could ping the IP but i could not access the samba share or even ssh to the drive.

I’m an advanced user. I use dhcp on the drive side my router assigns a static IP to the drive based on MAC.

I also dont use any of the media features of the drive, Twonky, Itunes servers are permanently disabled.

I have no USB drives attched to the WD My cloud. I strictly use it for windows samba only.

I had to power cycle the drive to get access back to my data. Does anyonle still have these issues with the latest firmware?

if it happens again try to access it through the WD desktop or mobil app. trying to determin if it is a general issue or only samba/SMB issue

Its not samba related for sure. As I mentioned I could not even ssh to it at that point. Ssh is pretty low level.

sorry, I missed that point.

can you still ping it when you can’t access it?

what are the 3 LEDs doing when it can’t be accessed?

edit: what was recent activity befor this? especially uploading media files. how long did you let it set where you couldn’t access it?

larryg0 wrote:

sorry, I missed that point.

can you still ping it when you can’t access it?

what are the 3 LEDs doing when it can’t be accessed?

edit: what was recent activity befor this? especially uploading media files. how long did you let it set where you couldn’t access it?

as mentioned above. I can ping it but cannot access the shares in any way.

Led is blue as usual

No new files upload prior. Regardless of that in any case. I have all media transcoding, thumbnail generating processes disbaled. 

no Twonky

no itunes server etc…

No usb device

what are the 2 rear LEDs doing when working and when not working?

unless you went in with SSH and disabled services there is still indexing and thumbnail generation going on

have you tried to just let it set to see if it comes back? if not try this for several hours or overnight is better

if you use SSH open a session and run top, just leave this running and see if the conection drops when other access does. paste  screen when you have the issue

larryg0 wrote:

what are the 2 rear LEDs doing when working and when not working?

unless you went in with SSH and disabled services there is still indexing and thumbnail generation going on

have you tried to just let it set to see if it comes back? if not try this for several hours or overnight is better

if you use SSH open a session and run top, just leave this running and see if the conection drops when other access does. paste  screen when you have the issue

Rear leds were blonking green as usual.

I did disable indexing tasks via ssh.

Did not wait long to see if it came back. Even if it does comes back after like an hour, i consider that still not good.

the fact that it took 2 days to go down…its kind of unprectictable when it will go down. Hopefully it was a one time thing.

I dont think i want to leave top running from a computer for that long.

Wish “screen” command was available. I can do a nohup but would be useless.

Anyways, if it does go down again, ill try to troubleshoot more.