Anonymous share

Thanks, I have checked that again but the problem remains. It still always asks for a username and password on Windows 7, 8 and 10. Worse, if that password is not empty I cannot access the share at all - this was the latest problem.

I first set a password for the admin user (only user). I cleared the respective credential manager’s entries. I couldn’t access the public share without a password so I added a new user with a simple password. When asked for a username and password I was denied access - typically without then even being given the chance to provide new credentials.

I then set that new user to have no password and could gain access by supplying those credentials which I’ve tried to make persistent within windows. They seem to have stuck on my Windows 8 laptop so far.

But I’d suggest the solution WD are using does not allow anonymous access for Windows users. For the instructions offered here and my experience with various combinations across 3 PCs and even VMs, it has never worked.