Analog Stereo sound is broken in WD-TV-LIVE

FW version 1.02.21 used to make terrible static sound on boot time and when doing hand-shake with HDMI.

Latest FW 1.03.35 produce that same static sound *all the time* rendering the Analog Stereo useless.

Static is present when WD-TV-LIVE is turned on even when scrolling through menus.

It is not a problem of some obscure format, but a problem of the device itself. 

I tried connecting the cable to my MP3 player and sound is clean, connected back to WD-TV-LIVE and the static sound is back.

I rebooted the WD-TV-LIVE few times, reset it to default options but still can not use the analog sound.

I downgrade back to 1.02.21 (had to edit version to 1.03.036 as wd-tv-live refused to go back) and now only got the static on boot and hand-shake time.

I have the old WD-TV-HD, and never experience that issue.

Is this a bug or that WD gave up on analog sound and will only support digital sound ?

thx

/gabriel

You shouldn’t be hearing ANY static during boot on the analog outputs.  

It sounds like one of two things:

You have a bad connection somewhere (probably a bad ground) – I have heard similar sounds when using the Live in my minivan if one of the connectors isn’t fully connected.

or, you may have a bad Live.

As a test, does this happen on muliple TVs?  Does it happen during boot if you leave the HDMI disconnected?

As a test, does this happen on muliple TVs?

Analog stereo is connected to my amplifier and not the TV.

I tested that port on the amplifier with my MP3 player and it performs flawlessly.

Does it happen during boot if you leave the HDMI disconnected?

With FW version 1.02.21 it only happens if HDMI is connected and projector is on.

My workaround was to only turn the projector on after WD-TV-LIVE finish booting.

I tested this with my old WD-TV-HD and the issue doesn’t exist.

I think that with FW 1.03.35 static was present even when HDMI was not connected, but I can’t say for sure now.

I will try and go back to 1.03.35 and test this again just to be sure

In any case this is weird as I had the WD-TV-HD for half a year and never experienced that issue, while the new WD-TV-LIVE *always* has the static on boot time (I assumed it is probing all ports)

/gabriel

As a test, does this happen on muliple TVs?

Analog stereo is connected to my amplifier and not the TV.

I tested that port on the amplifier with my MP3 player and it performs flawlessly

That’s not what I’m getting at.   If you could plug the WDTV into ANOTHER system / amplifier / whatever and test the WDTV’s port.  

It sounds like you have bad hardware in the WDTV; there should not be ANY sound during boot, except for perhaps a “pop” when the power is turned on.

I tried again booting with FW 1.02.21 and no HDMI connected and still got the static sound.

I disconnected all cables except for power and stereo and still got very loud static on boot time.

I’m pretty sure 1.03.35 has that static all the time regardless of HDMI connection  

If unit is defective why it only has that static during boot time?

Also how come FW upgrade made made the situation so much worse?

With 1.02.21 static is only for few seconds during boot, and with 1.03.35 it is all the time.

When I downgrade back to 1.02.21 I got rid of most of the static

/gabriel

I think that confirms that your hardware is bad.  You should NOT hear ANYTHING except a pop when you power it on.  NOTHING.  

If your hardware is bad, then the affect of different firmware will be unpredictable.   The chipset that controls audio will behave differently under differnet firmware, which means that the FAULT could act differently, too.

I would recommend you replace it.  But if that doesn’t fix the problem, then you need to look at the rest of your setup…

GabrielB wrote:

I tried again booting with FW 1.02.21 and no HDMI connected and still got the static sound.

I disconnected all cables except for power and stereo and still got very loud static on boot time.

I’m pretty sure 1.03.35 has that static all the time regardless of HDMI connection  

If unit is defective why it only has that static during boot time?

Also how come FW upgrade made made the situation so much worse?

With 1.02.21 static is only for few seconds during boot, and with 1.03.35 it is all the time.

When I downgrade back to 1.02.21 I got rid of most of the static

/gabriel

But did you try it on a different amplifier?

The point is that we don’t have this ‘static’ which may point to you having a faulty unit.

richUK wrote:But did you try it on a different amplifier?

I have the same problem with stereo output with this firmware (reported days ago in the firmware announcement thread). Reproduced with different amps and cables. Earlier fw worked just fine, so i doubt it is a hw problem.

No, you didn’t report the same problem.  You reported that you got NO OUTPUT at ALL on the analog outputs.    This guy is reporting that he hears static when it turns on.  

I just plugged BOTH of my Lives (with upgraded 1.03.35  firmware) into my Panasonic Viera TV’s analog inputs and got NO static at all.  Sound worked fine.   I did hear a quiet little “click” when it turned on, but that’s all.

Analog output is SO BASIC there’s not much that can be different between people’s setups.   HDMI and DIGITAL are quite different and the complexities of the signal coding can be perceived differently across different hardware.   But not analog.  Heck it’s the simplest thing out there.

But did you try it on a different amplifier?

The point is that we don’t have this ‘static’ which may point to you having a faulty unit.

I don’t have any other amplifier or anything else with analog input.

My amplifier is a pure analog stereo “audiophile” amplifier  so I doubt it can affect anything.

I will try and get the TV-LIVE to a friend house over the weekend.

I try connecting different devices to the same cable (MP3 player, laptop) and all are fine.

I used to have the WD-TV-HD connected to the same port on the amplifier (using different cable) for maybe 6 months without any issue whatsoever.

Another thing I noticed when I first bought the TV-LIVE is that the quality of the analog output is much worse than the old WD-TV-HD - sound is much less detailed and bass got very shallow.

I still use the old WD-TV-HD for movies with Dolby-Digital and the sound is much superior to the TV-LIVE. 

I assumed that the DAC unit used on the LIVE was of a worse quality then the original TV-HD.

/gabriel 

One more thing, I just tried again going to 1.03.35 and as soon as new FW was loaded static starts.

I disconnected HDMI and then USB cables leaving WD-TV-LIVE with only power and stereo cables plugged in and static was still on.

Going back to 1.02.21 solved this issue and now static is again only during boot time.

Unlike 1.02.21 where static was only during boot time, static in 1.03.35 is always on when watching a movie or browsing menus or anything else.

I need to test the TV-LIVE with another amplifier, but amplifier works fine with any other source connected with the same cable to the same port so I think WD-TV-LIVE is clearly the offender here.

Since issue become much worse with new FW I expect that this is a SW issue

/gabriel

It’s not a software issue.  It’s hardware.   If it were software, everyone would have the same issue.

GabrielB wrote:

One more thing, I just tried again going to 1.03.35 and as soon as new FW was loaded static starts.

I disconnected HDMI and then USB cables leaving WD-TV-LIVE with only power and stereo cables plugged in and static was still on.

Going back to 1.02.21 solved this issue and now static is again only during boot time.

Unlike 1.02.21 where static was only during boot time, static in 1.03.35 is always on when watching a movie or browsing menus or anything else.

I need to test the TV-LIVE with another amplifier, but amplifier works fine with any other source connected with the same cable to the same port so I think WD-TV-LIVE is clearly the offender here.

Since issue become much worse with new FW I expect that this is a SW issue

/gabriel

We have gone through this. We (or I) do not have a problem with any firmware or indeed the hardware so you must have something wrong with your system or indeed your unit.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

No, you didn’t report the same problem.  You reported that you got NO OUTPUT at ALL on the analog outputs.    This guy is reporting that he hears static when it turns on.  …

Thanks Tony and sorry for my bad English - I learned now what “static” also means (the crackling noise). This is exactly what I get out of the AV OUT (instead of NO OUTPUT), so it’s not working for me either. I just returned my unit to the seller - would it help to list the faulty P/N and S/N codes here?

No, it’s not useful (to us) to record the S/N of units. 

What WOULD be helpful is to know, if you replaced it, if you continue to have a problem with a new unit.

Well i have this problem too, so im not so sure it’s hardware. I have it with .21. I too have a projector connected to the wd tv live, but the static is there even without hdmi connected.

Also when i change the source away from wd tv live to something else like tv, then the LOUD static sound comes back. Turning audio from stereo to digital makes no difference and im about to return this piece of **bleep**.

Buddy01:   Can you post detailed specifics about how you’re hooking up?   Unfortunately, the prior poster never posted a folllow-up, so we can’t draw any conclusions from his case.

One thing you say is puzzling.   Let me paraphrase what you said to see if I understand correctly:

You hear static (like Hiss, White Noise, crackling, etc) when you’re “tuned” to the WDTV.

If you tune AWAY from it to another source, you hear no static?

If you tune BACK to the WDTV the static is Louder than before?

I try to explain better.

1. my wdtv is connected to my stereo through the “audio out” port of the wdtv.

2. my wdtv is also connected to my projector (hd20) with hdmi. 

3. my projector is also connected to my external digital-tv box

problems happen when: 

1. i start up wdtv 

2. i have selected the external “digital-tv box” as the video source of my projector, keep the wdtv as audio source of my stereo and wdtv is still “ON”; if i turn it “OFF” the problem of course goes away.

3. the problem is same as 2 even when i have no hdmi cable in wdtv at all (just audio out).

problem:

very loud static noise!

thoughts:

It seems weird that the problem is there even when the hdmi is out. It only goes away when wdtv has some sort of video out “handshake” with a tv, projector or other video receiver. If there is nothing that “shows” the picture the audio out goes ballistic again. 

Wow.  Yeah, that’s pretty bizarre. 

Is the STATIC just a pure “Hissing” sound, or is it very random popping, or does it have any kind of pattern to it (like modulating tones, etc.)

What happens if you leave DIgital TV Box as the SOURCE, but DISCONNECT the cable box from the projector and receiver?

If the static changes in ANY WAY AT ALL, then what I’m halfway wondering is if this might be a Grounding-Loop issue. I don’t know in what country you live, but in many places, this would be called an “Earth loop.”

The reason I say this is, because when I was using my Plus in the truck a while back, I’d get rather loud audio “interference.”  It wasn’t pure “static,” as it had a tonal quality to it that would vary with engine RPM.   It only did this if I was running my LCD panel on battery.   If I plugged the power supply in, the interference would disappear COMPLETELY.

Plugging the power supply in completed the ground path, while leaving the adapter DISCONNECTED allows the “ground” of the panel to “Float.”  On UNBALANCED connections (like RCA jacks are,) a stable ground is CRITICAL.

Unfortunately, there’s really only one way to test this out:   Make sure ALL of the affected components (WDTV, Projector, Receiver) are plugged into the SAME power source (electrical outlet) via a power strip.

Make sure the VIDEO jack of the Live (which I don’t think you’re using presently) is connected to the projector or receiver to prevent the floating shield of that cable from becoming an “Antenna”.  You don’t have to USE that connection, but it helps to test it by grounding it.   You could even plug it into an unused AUDIO input…  it’s just a ground.  :)

All of this assures that all the devices are at the same ground potential.   

If the problem goes away, you’ll have to isolate where the floating ground is and have it corrected by either an electrician (if it’s in the Mains.)

Hi, just in order to limit a mistake - are you using the enclosed cable for the AV out? It will not work with ab ordinary stereo jack…

1 Like