Amazon Instant Video Support - firmware update?

The only thing keeping me from buying this thing right now is the lack of Amazon Instant Video support.

Like so many other people these days, I have been searching for devices that support home network media streaming and a variety of online video streaming services.

The reviews that I have read say that WD TV Live Plus is great for network streaming.  It also has a great list of online options.

Question - If WD were to add support for Amazon Instant Video, could they do it with a firmware update, or would they have to put out a whole new device?

I think this can be added to the WD TV  by a firmware update. But just to be in the safe side, contact WD tech support for a more direct answer.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

I’m sorry, but that seems like a silly answer to me.  Every question here could eventually be answered by contacting support.  However, if the question were answered here or added to their FAQs, it would save a lot of emails/phone calls.  Plus, you can’t ask the question via email without entering a device serial number, etc., (I just tried) and I don’t have time to sit on the phone for something so simple.  I want to buy a Live Plus, but will opt for the Roku because of Amazon support.  Does anyone know the answer to the original question?  I assume the answer is No and Roku will get my business.  That’s a shame.

Have a look at this WD product page and select Online Services:

Live Plus

Thanks, but I’m not sure what your point is.  I already know what they currently offer.  I, and the OP, would like to know if there are any plans to add Amazon support via a firmware upgrade any time soon.  Did I miss something in your link?

Check the IDEAS LAB; it’s already there.   Vote for it.

WD rarely (more like never) announces advance plans to add any feature or service.

DoubleDAZ, Unfortunately, you will not find the answer for your question here, this is a  USER to USER forum, only WD can give you that answer and, as other have stated, they rarely post here.

Look, I don’t expect them to post here, but I find it hard to believe that “someone”, including the OP, hasn’t asked them this question and gotten an answer.  Oh well, guess I’ll have to waste my time, though if they are as tight-lipped as some suggest, it’s probably easier to just go with Roku and be done with it.  The Live has some more capabilty, but none that I need or plan to ever use.

FWIW, I decided to ask Amazon instead of sitting on the phone with WD Support.  :slight_smile:

… like Amazon would know?!   :smileyvery-happy:

Why wouldn’t they know?  They have to agree to it and they said there are no current plans for it to be added .  So the WD TV LIve Plus is no longer a viable option for me, even if I decide against the Amazon service.  I might just give my current BR player to my MIL and get a new one that supports all the services and then add 2 wireless Rokus for the bedrooms.