(always) recompiling media library after power cycle.?

Should the WDTV  always recompile the media library after a power cycle…??

By Power cycle I mean a complete shutdown of the  (WDTV box itself and a USB attached hard-drive) and then turning the

power back on.

I want to use the media library function so I turn it on in "Settings’ … this gives me acess to the Dashboard (

which is what I really want…)

If I want to stop the recompilation I have to turn off the media library function which disables the dashboard.

Is there a way to distnguish

1. making the media library function available

2. exercising control over when the recompilation occurs. I’d like to be able to decide when the media database is

rebuilt

it looks like the  “On” choice for media libray settings is really “Auto”

I 'm looking for something like

i) On -Media libray functionality is avaiable

ii) Off-Media library functionality  is unavailable

iii) Clear-  delete the media library

iv) Rebuild-rebuild the media libray

Unfortunately, the device will recompile the media library after every power cycle. This cannot be avoided.

At this moment, we do not have any way to control when this compilation will happen. You should post this in the IDEA forum.

I have seen this sort of issue mentioned before in the forums, and I do not have this “problem”.  When I turn my WDTV back on, the library file is read, but that only takes a brief moment.  The only time there has been extended disk activity is if I had removed a hard drive, put some new files on it from the PC  (i.e new music and/or video) and then reconnect the drive to WDTV (likely because the WDTV sees the drive as being “different”).

The two drives connected to my WDTV are same-model, self-powered in their own enclosures.  Could it be this is why I do not experience rebuilding of library files, whereas a drive powered by the WDTV might have this problem?

I  doubt if how the disk is powered makes a difference,but I could be wrong.

I am using a self-powered 1TB drive.

(in my case) It always “compiles” the library and “gets info” if new material has or has not been added to the disk.

Probably there is some make file  that runs from  the init script when the WDTV boots.

It principle it  makes sense and it’s trying to make this library management easier.

( I’ve tried it both ways (adding of new material and not adding new material.).

If no material has been added,its maybe 1-2 mins to wait,while it rebuilds after power-on.

If new material has been added…YMMV…depends on initial libray contents and new additions.

I really dont want to have to leave this device powered on just to use the dashboard/media library.

I’ts an annoyance right now,but I’d like to decide when to recompile the media library.

Try this:  Perhaps your library files on the HD connected to the WDTV are corrupt and staying that way somehow.  It is OK to delete them, as the folder and files get re-created next time the drive is read from startup of WDTV.  On a rare occasion or two I have deleted them, and there is no problem doing so.  BTW, either the WDTV manual or some tech bulletin I read from WD mentioned doing this to clear up problems/errors.

The folder to delete is " .wd_tv "  You will see it in the root dir.

Tried that before I posted, erased the .wd_tv directory before I ran the tests and have now repeated this test

several times.

1-2 min wait to recompile after power-on if no new media added between power cycles

longer wait  if media added,time depends on how much new media is added.

…Maybe this is a function of the local USB disk (capactiy/speed)  being used for storage.

(mike27oct) what disk are you using for local storage.??

reply to idealcopy:

The twin model 2TB hard drives hiding behind my TV and connected to the WDTV are (discontinued model) Hitachi SimpleDrives.  (It’s OK to admit this here in WD-Land since WD recently bought Hitachi! drive company!)   Since the drives are in their own enclosure with power supply, they were marketed as no-brainer USB2 drives for the masses. 

Nevertheless, the hard drive guts inside are a top quality 7200rpm, Deskstar 7K2000 hard drive.  The drives inside are still marketed as bare drives at Newegg, etc.  They come in 1, 1.5 and 2TB sizes.  I first bought a 1 TB Simple drive at a close-out price; liked it, so earlier this year I searched the Internet for anyone selling new 2TB models and was lucky to buy, perhaps, the last two in existence.  I am glad I have 2TB model drives and nothing larger, as it is just less “problem-prone”.

Before I bought the 2TB drives, I read this review  (which also tells the model number of the bare drive inside):

http://www.storagereview.com/hitachi_simpledrive_rev_3_2_0tb_usb_external_hard_drive_review 

It would be nice if WD designed it’s drives in the upright position as these are, as they have a slim profile and fit in tight narrow places.

I have since put a 1.5TB model into an Acomdata enclosure – I like these drives!  (For the record, I also have WD drives in Acomdata enclosures, too!)  These Hitachis are quiet behind the TV; even a bit quieter than my 1.5TB WD Black Caviar drive.)

The only thing I had to do to these drives before using them was to format them from being FAT32 to NTFS, then ran CHKDSK overnight (no errors found) and then put them to work behind the TV.  I use Windows 7 to simply copy my ISO files created on the PC drive to these 2TB drives downstairs through the home network without any problems.