Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

press space 1 space 1 space 1 try to stop auto booting , put original uimage uramdisk into usb drive which format into fat32,
and run
usb start
fatload usb 0:1 0xa00000 /uimage
fatload usb 0:1 0xf00000 /uramdisk
bootm 0xa00000 0xf00000
it will reboot into recovery mode

1 Like

before u apply the power, its normal to see weird chars

1 Like

On the very first attempt to stop the boot like this it worked, but unfortunately without letting me write “clean” chars. So it didn’t work. Tried several times after, with no success. Will keep trying for fun. The USB stick is ready for action.

The weird chars just appears after aplying power to the unit. Before it, on UART self test (loop) no weird chars at all.

On each and every time that the boot stopped and I was able to sea clears chars, it stopped at the same spot, right after DDR3 training sequence. I guess it’s a memory problem, impossible to recover. I give up and thx each and everyone who has helped someway.

Can I install OMV in chroot Debian? How ?

I might be wrong, but I don’t think so. OMV is more a Distribution than a program and it needs hardware access.

Chroot have access to hardware (/dev, /sys, /proc and other are mounted).
But its a crazy way :stuck_out_tongue:

This is, of course, correct. I’m always confuseing it with virtualization. But normally you shouldn’t get root access from a chroot environment. So I assumed that “OVM” will not work in a chroot environment.

@Fox_exe I have the same issue and I can’t seem to find out a way to fix it. I am using a single drive Gen 2. I can’t get a cable at the moment. Any other options? Is there a fix for uboot not loading the kernel?

Edit: Currently I am getting a flashing blue light when I leave the USB stick in. I can’t access recovery, telnet, ssh or webUI.

Edit 2: Just for future reference for anyone reading this you may brick your device in the process you can USB boot Debian and reformat the HDD. DSM is fast on the Gen2 more than the WD stock UI. There is a photo attached below I am currently testing it to see how stable it performs.

Hi, I suspect you mean “Single Drive Gen 2” a WD My Cloud Gen 2. I am very interested in buying one. I have tested DSM with a WD My Cloud Mirror Gen 2 and had stability problems (crashes with data losses, etc.). I would very much appreciate if you would write your experiences here in the forum.

@Q-Fireball Well here’s my story. I have the WD My Cloud Gen 2 as an RMA refurb unit since my Gen 1 had a HDD failure. After months of this thing just sitting around and not backing up anything from my mac and becoming a useless paperweight since it got bricked during a firmware update which meant I had to unplug it everything I wanted to use it. I decided to just go for it and since I know @Fox_exe makes good ports of Debian and DSM I decided to give it a try. I actually did the whole thing last night before I wanted to throw this out the window. I am out of warranty also. So far everything is working really well I did a full backup and I am running a VPN server to test out DSM. My only thing is that the CPU usage spikes quickly when using the HDD. I am actually surprised that an alpha port can work really well for what I need it for. It runs like a whole new NAS. Just remember that it may take 2 attempts and you may brick the Gen 2 in the process. No stability issues as yet but with the old WD firmware I lost over 500GB of backups.

Also I would recommend if you want to buy a WD My Cloud Gen 2 just for DSM I would highly recommend just getting a genuine synology NAS since cloud connect doesn’t work. If you want to try it go for it but remember to flash it back to the stock WD firmware if you want to return it.

Edit 1: Gen 1 = WD My Cloud Gen 1 & Gen 2 = WD My Cloud Gen 2

I installed on my Cloud Mirror Gen1!

All ok :slight_smile:

great. Thanks for this…

One little question I guess we can not use QuickConnect to access from outside. Do you confirm?
thanks

EDIT: seems the case… pitty there is not an easy solution… but well… I will make it with port forward even if not so simple and confortable

in relation to quick connect …
I have tried xpenology guide to change serial and mac address in syslinux.cfg in bootloader (USB flash boot).
and I can using quickconnect just fine on xpenology baremetal atom PC.
Does it apply to your build also @fox_exe?

thanks

DSM works great on My Cloud gen2 6TB except fails after every 12 hours as mentioned @Fox_exe.
I’ve made script run every 11 hours that replace four .so files. It means system reboots twice a day.
Will there any better solution?

Maybe later.
Now i just fix some errors for Mirro Gen2 device.
Main fix is: Added internal flash support, so now its easy to change firmware or rollback to stock.

Hey Fox,

Did you by chance address any of the issues from #comment156551? Do you have any thoughts on those?

Is anyone else seeing the same behaviour?

Thanks,
Craig

mvEthPhyRegWrite: SMI busy timeout

Fixed. (Wrong network config in dts). Not affect shutdown/reboot.
For shutdown and reboot DSM uses MCU (Microchip). I found that code in kernel and remove, but its not help.
I think to add full MCU support to kernel and synobios.

One more interesting moment: One of DSM services listen to /dev/ttyS1. If i write somenting to it - System going to powerdown. Need disable this feature, but i dont known where… for now…

DSM v6.0-8451 for WD MyCloud Mirror Gen2

(Stable beta)
Download: Anionix.ru | Google drive
Install: Go to “Update firmware” and upload wd-to-dsm.bin file. After reboot you can access to DSM install gui: http://disckstation or http://wdmcmg2
Rollback: Connect via SSH (Use first account of device or admin) and run this commands:

sudo su dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1 reboot
Then - device will boot to WD Recovery. Upload official WD firmware (Or mine alternative’s)

#Changelog:

• Fixed “SMI busy timeout” errors
  • Added support for RTC (Real time clock)
  • Added support for MTD (Internal flash chip). Possible to change/rollback firmware from console!
  • Updated some kernel modules (Iscsi-target now works)
  • Still cant shutdown/reboot (Just freeze. But safe to reboot manually)
  • No fan control (Need MCU support in Synobios)
  • Blinking power led (Need MCU support in Synobios)
  • MAC address are random every boot. Please, use Hostname for access to device.
  • Possible fixed problem with damaged libs. Need test.

PC with SSD to DSM copy speed (1gbps lan. No tuning, only activated SMBv3)

1 Like

Yes, there is one, not sure if it’s much better but it helps prevent the aforementioned files from getting corrupted by making the files immutable using chattr command.

First you have to start by installing entware-ng on your device if you haven’t already. Check here for a guide on how-to:

https://github.com/Entware-ng/Entware-ng/wiki/Install-on-Synology-NAS

Remember to skip the 5th step and edit /etc/profile instead of /root/.profile file and add the line:

. /opt/etc/profile

at the end of the file as instructed.

After a restart, you should have access to opkg installer via SSH. Install chattr and lsattr using the commands(may need to be root for that, use sudo -s command):

opkg install chattr
opkg install lsattr

Then browse to /usr/lib/ and use chattr +i command on actual files(e.g. chattr +i libfileindex.so.6.0), not symlinks to make the files immutable and stay untouched by the system.

I’ve been using the device for ~2 weeks after I modified the files and I can say that it’s been rather stable. Though from time to time the device goes into the same behavior(failed to run etc.), the system stays intact with most functions working and after a restart(yes, the restart works) it will return to full working condition without the need of replacing the files.

Remember to remove the immutable flag before any firmware updates(chattr -i). Enjoy!

1 Like

Great Job!